Few questions on reef tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Blacksteel

Aquarium Advice Activist
I'm relatively new to saltwater aquariums and i have a few questions.

Currently i have a 29 Gallon FOWLR tank with a few damsels and a wrasse. I have no special lights (florescent) and i have two HOB filters (250gph).

I am planning on upgrading my tank to get some coral but i know i need a lot more information and equipment before i do. I'm just looking to start out with some easier to keep coral but i dont know anything about specific types.

Can anyone help me with what equipment (lights, filters, skimmers) that i would need? and any suggestions on coral that is easier to keep?

What type of light do you have now? You don't need a skimmer but it does help take out the proteins out of the water. You can get by with larger water changes on a tank that size. Sometimes it is actually better to water changes on a smaller tank because skimmers take out more than proteins. What are you running in your filters now? Do you have powerheads?

You might want to start with softies like leathers, zoas and mushrooms.

I know most damsels are considered reef safe my friend has a 3 stripe that would actually tip apart kenya trees just because he could. He got rid of the damsel and about 20 kenya trees, the fish only bothered that one coral.

It's just some marineland light it says "natural daylight" on it. I think its just some light that won't do very good for coral at all. and i was looking for some recommedations of lighting mainly.

My filters just have carbon in them and i dont have any powerheads but was planning on getting one very soon.

Back
Top Bottom