Fighting crabs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ckmn101

Aquarium Advice Freak
I’m not sure what you call this crab, the lfs just called it a “Red Crab” and said it was just like a Mithrax crab. I also have a Mithrax crab in my 75 and obviously they got in a fight cause the red crab is missing a pincher.
My ? is- will the crabs pincher grow back?
Thanks in advance,
Mike

Attachments

• redcrab4_150.jpg
    redcrab4_150.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 26
  • redcrab_189.jpg
    redcrab_189.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 28
yes it will after the next 1 or 2 molts and that crabs is also some kind of saltwater fiddler crab, they like to climb out onto the floor and die so be carefull

That is a fiddler crab, makes great bait for redfish.....I am also sure once it grows its pincher back it might eat some of your stock.

In nature, they like to dig burrows in the muddy banks and actually spend most of their time on land. Im not sure that if it is kept in water all the time it might die.

Fiddler crabs are pretty ineffective with their claw. I believe most of their diet comes from bacteria in the sand. He needs to have access to land at some point or he will die. Perhaps you could have a tiny bit of LR poking out of the surface? He will eventually manage to climb up there and hang out for a while until going back underwater for a while. I keep mine with bumble-bee gobies and a green spotted puffer. So for as long as he's been in there with the gobies I haven't seen any problems.

Back
Top Bottom