Fighting Cyanobacteria

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

msuburg

Aquarium Advice Regular
I've been fighting a cyanobacteria issue since my tank got up and running. It's been there since before I even got fish or snails. Tank is 2 1/2 months old. Water tests have come back good for a long time now. Anyone have suggestions for fighting it? Should I just do some extra water changes? I'm currently doing about a 10-15% weekly change. Salinity is 1.024. I've been real careful to make sure I don't overfeed, in addition, I don't feed every day either, probably 4 out of the 7 days I feed.

TIA,

Matt

What are you using for source water, food, etc.?

With the tank only being 2.5 months old, you are probably fighting a temporarily uphill battle because there is the added fish bioload in there on a relatively new tank.

I have a cynobacteria problem as well. I haven't started fighting it yet. My LFS told me that I may need to use Erethromyacin to combat it. I don't know if that helps, but thats what they told me.

Aack, I would never resort to a medication to treat cyano. In addition, it does not solve the problem that causes it which means it is possible to start the whole cycle over again.

Often it is caused by excess nutrients that are abundant in new tanks (the end product of all kinds of cycles establishing themselves) and also excess nutrients in source water (most often from using tapwater instead of RO).

This is where I always start looking for clues.....

HoopsGuru said:
Aack, I would never resort to a medication to treat cyano.

Is it just a generally bad idea to use medication? Or is it more of a quick fix and you really aren't solving the problem, just "band-aiding" it. Look deeper into the problem and find what caused it then fix that issue....

What kind of lighting? low water flow, wrong spectrum lighting and excess nutriants will all help bring on this. Have u checked your phosphates? this is a major cause of cyno and other problem algaes... Silicates is another good thing to check for. I had it for a while when my tank was new and it went away. I now get it from time to time in my low flow areas.

Worse comes to worse and you need a temp. solution Phosphate Sponge can help...

I fought cyano for months, increased flow, phoshate sponges, water changes (RO/DI) ... and nothing worked. It always came back the next day.

Then, I tried one application of Red Slime Remover from Ultralife, and that knocked it down to all but one small patch on the sand. Then I got 2 aqualcultured fighting conch's and they ate the rest!

I haven't seen it come back in 6 weeks. :mrgreen:

I had a cyano bloom not too long ago. Found out my skimmer was clogged and wasn't working right. Two days after the skimmer was back up cyano is dead. So check your nitrates and phosphates. Both are a likely cause.

Is it just a generally bad idea to use medication? Or is it more of a quick fix and you really aren't solving the problem, just "band-aiding" it.

As mentioned, a bit of both. Meds can disrupt the biofilter and annoy other inhabitants.

I also agree that excess nutrients is probably the cause. I'm waiting to hear the water source...this is a common cause of the problem.

Cyano

The water source for me is coming from the LFS, being it's only a 12g tank, I just get jugs from there as needed. They use Tropic Marine saltwater mix

-Matt

i tried everything couldnt get rid of it either untill i started using a phosphate sponge wich i put in the return of my skimmer or in my canister and it dissapered within a few days so im still using it
frozen brine also causes problems i switched to freeze dried brine and like it much better

I had a cyano problem, but now it's gone.

This is what worked for me:

-Cut the lights back to 4 hrs. a day (for a week)
-Increase water flow (I got another powerhead)
-Decreased feedings

I think excess nutrients had a lot to do with it...

Ill add my Cyno experience to the list of seemingly unrelated fixes...I had a Cyno bloom. My De-Nitrator and skimmer died all in the same week, but I didn't realize it. It wasn't until the dreaded red showed that I started checking things. I got both back in order, but the cyno, while not seeming to spread any further didn't get much better. Did some reading and while its always up to the tank keeper to decide what to torure your critters with, I chose not to use any snake oil miracle cure crud like biotics or any other kind of meds. I waited about a month and no improvement. I *will* say one common thread from those who try the au-natural approach is to reduce (either how I did or through extra or addtional skimming/sponge, some type of additional filtration) nutients. Less nutrients, less resulting crud to feed the bad guys. I'll be honest, I was feeding my fish 2 times a day with a *way* under powered clean up crew and not-so-great CPR skimmer. I've seen starved fish, so mentally, I've always been afraid to not feed. However, it was get rid of the ugly Cyno or sell the tank. Wasn't keeping the 'red snot' as it was referred to in my living room in all its glory for us to bask in every night. I cut the feedings to once a day and even then I was careful. (This does not include my once a week capful of micro-vert for da coralies and such) I watched the fish close for *any* sign of weight loss and after about 3 weeks I chilled. During that time (feeding being the only thing I reduced/changed) I saw a very noticable decline in Cyno. So, being the hands on guy I am, I went ahead and scrapped away at what I could get to. Been a bout month and a half now and its gone. As a side note (As if this book needs another chapter) I did buy a couple of decent sized halloween crabs, added a total of 8 turbos and a couple green emerald crabs. My clean up crew had dwindled and I didn't realize how much we rely on the night crew for eating up all the uglies we don't want. Just to prove a point to myself, I pulled the plug on my skimmer about 2 weeks ago. While monitoring the levels (Still 3x0 (0 Am 0 Nitri 0 Nitra)) I *have* seen some green algea pop up. (Course most of us fight that anyway), which in a way tells me I could really still use to cut back on the feedings a hair more. While some folks may balk, I look at it like this. Skimmerless is not a new approach, its old skool. However, I will probably save on the power to not run the skimmer *plus* my tang and damsels seem to enjoy the now fresh algea that they scavenge rather than that dried trash. /shrug works for me, long as the levels stay good, Im not turning the skimmer back on. No Cign0 of Cyno and to be honest my corals are looking pretty darn happy since I turned off the skimmer. /shrug go figure ; ) Well, thats my story and Im sticking to it, GL with your tank. O, and remember, lots a folks, including me, try all kinds of whack stuff. What works for 10 peeps will surely fail for the next 100, so stick with what yields positive results for you.

Back
Top Bottom