Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 11-15-2003, 05:32 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak
FIghting Tangs?

Ok I just got myself a Yellow Tang last week. The tank he was in in the lfs had a large school of them. Now I kind of feel guilty taking him from his buddys. He is really trying to hang out with my clowns. The problem with that is the clowns don't seem to want anything to do with the tang. So now the question. I've been told that tangs are to be kept alone or in a school or they will fight. Is this true? I would like to get him a friend.

easyian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2003, 07:17 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I think that your tang will be fine. M understanding is that unless you have a large tank(100 gal+), you should only have one tang in the tank. However, if you chose to get another tang, you have to make sure that it has a different body shape than the Yellow Tang otherwise they will fight. Cheers!

My Tank Setup
75 Gallons
Prizm Protein Skimmer
Fluval 304 Cansiter Filter
Hagen 802 Power Head
2 Hoods. One with 2 Blue Actinic 03 Bulbs and another with 2 Power Compact White Lights.
75 Lbs Live Rock and live sand.
ZekeMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2003, 08:50 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak
Send a message via MSN to Dewey
My yellow tang hangs wth my clowns all the time. Except when its feeding time . Then theres a little battle but they seem to forget about it when feeding is Done.

Good luck Dewey
Thanks Dewey
Dewey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2003, 08:46 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus
Send a message via Yahoo to loganj
If you get a pair of tangs that are similar in appearance, you will soon have only one. I do keep a hippo with a yellow in a 180 gal tank. They are different enough that they ignore each other though. Your yellow will be fine by himself.
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.
Logan J
loganj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2003, 09:50 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Newbie
my friend has 3 yellow tangs in his tank and they shoal together in his tank but is a large tank 220 gallon. My lfs said if you keep tangs keep single or in shoals of odd numbers will prevent fighting hth
ste is offline   Reply With Quote

fight, fighting, tan, tang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com