FIghting Tangs?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

easyian

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok I just got myself a Yellow Tang last week. The tank he was in in the lfs had a large school of them. Now I kind of feel guilty taking him from his buddys. He is really trying to hang out with my clowns. The problem with that is the clowns don't seem to want anything to do with the tang. So now the question. I've been told that tangs are to be kept alone or in a school or they will fight. Is this true? I would like to get him a friend.

Hello,
I think that your tang will be fine. M understanding is that unless you have a large tank(100 gal+), you should only have one tang in the tank. However, if you chose to get another tang, you have to make sure that it has a different body shape than the Yellow Tang otherwise they will fight. Cheers!

My yellow tang hangs wth my clowns all the time. Except when its feeding time . Then theres a little battle but they seem to forget about it when feeding is Done.

Good luck Dewey

If you get a pair of tangs that are similar in appearance, you will soon have only one. I do keep a hippo with a yellow in a 180 gal tank. They are different enough that they ignore each other though. Your yellow will be fine by himself.

my friend has 3 yellow tangs in his tank and they shoal together in his tank but is a large tank 220 gallon. My lfs said if you keep tangs keep single or in shoals of odd numbers will prevent fighting hth

Back
Top Bottom