Fiji vs. Carribean Live Rock...need pros/cons

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bassetbros

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm torn between Fiji and Carribean live rock. I understand that fiji lr is usually not as dense and porus as the carribean.

1. Does that mean that the fiji will simply provide better filtration per pound due to having more little nooks and crannies for critters to call home?

2. Will the carribean lr produce the corraline algae similar to the fiji with proper lighting?

3. Are the differences solely cosmetic?

The price difference is basically $0.80/lb and I'm looking at purchasing 100lbs from my lfs.

Thanks and God Bless,
Basset

I have only bought in LFS and I buy by looks... the lighter and more holes, nooks and crannies there are the better for your tank... as more solid rock has less of the good stuff... at least thats what I was taught years ago :)
Kimberly

I have both in my system and like them for different reasons.
Does that mean that the fiji will simply provide better filtration per pound due to having more little nooks and crannies for critters to call home?
May better filtration because it takes up a lesser volume of your tank and you can put more rock in the system. However, I like the Carribean because there is more room for my fish and inverts to hide in and its more attractive IMO.

Will the carribean lr produce the corraline algae similar to the fiji with proper lighting?
Yes it will, corraline will grow on anything including snail :wink: , no worries there.

Are the differences solely cosmetic?
IMO, yes. That and personal taste.
HTH

I personally like fiji rock better, because it seems to have all sorts of different colors on it, and just more stuff.

But on the other side, you should consider aquacultured rock- so that we can keep our natural reefs in the ocean in tact.

what about those people in the keys who set up "artificial reefs" by placing limestone into the ocean and leave it in there for a year. Is that considered aquacultured rock?

pufferman said:
what about those people in the keys who set up "artificial reefs" by placing limestone into the ocean and leave it in there for a year. Is that considered aquacultured rock?

I would say yes :)

I would say yes

Yes also. Nice rock, full of critters.

Back
Top Bottom