Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 03-26-2006, 08:29 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict
Send a message via AIM to hackteck
the sand is already in the tank just waiting for the rocks

hackteck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 11:57 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Regular
I just ran an extra long tube from the ro/di unit and filled my 180 up with it then just let the salt mix right in the tank, gradually adding salt over a couple days until it was right . I had sand and base rock in the tank as well.

reeling reefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 01:25 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak
I would really recommend the trash can. For one, you're going to need time for the salt to mix properly into the water, and to get up to temp. For two, you're not going to have the option of mixing in tank later down the road. I use a rubbermaid with a old p.o.c. rio and some tubing. I do water changes every week, all week long I fill the can with ro/di water, with a pump running in it and a heater, mixing the salt till it reads right on the refractometer. Then the day I do water change, I take my two 7 gallon water jugs, have my partner fill those from the tank with the python while I'm in the garage filling two other 7 gallon jugs with the pump from the can. By the time I get both jugs full and in the house, my partner is just finishing sucking the last of the second jug out. We have it timed, we can change out 14 gallons in 15 minutes like this. And 21 gallons in 18 minutes. Buckets really are a pain in the butt, and in my house, they're strictly forbidden because of baby-safety issues. I much prefer the 7 gallon blue drinking water jugs. Keeps idiot relatives from dumping Lysol into them too. (I thought that was a mop bucket).

Only thing more dangerous than a 2nd lieutenant saying "In my experience" is a warrant officer saying "Hey guys, check this out!"
zuzecawi is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com