Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-26-2006, 12:18 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to hackteck
filling my 180

ive got the sand in my tank and the live rocks should arrive tuesday, the filtration is already in place and the lights are arriving tuesday as well, now i have a question. with my 55g i filled up a 5 gallon bucket with water mixed in salt and poured it in my tank a bucket at a time. with a 180 gallon tank this would take 2 days hehe would it kill the bacteria on my live from my 55g that i'm moving to the 180 if i fill the whole tank with freshwater then add the salt into the tank directly to bring it up to the correct salinity?

Old 03-26-2006, 12:50 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Regular

I just did the same thing. I filled my 150 with RO/DI water and mixed the salt in the tank. I did this a couple days before my LR came in.

Old 03-26-2006, 02:02 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

one thing you could do is run over to wal mart and buy one of those huge rubbermaids, i have one that holds 50 gallons... that might help you speed up the process... HTH
Old 03-26-2006, 03:24 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

i dont know if it'd kill your rock or not, but you'll want somethin better for the future. I have a few big rubbermaids in my garage, one with RODI and one with SW mixing in it...I'm considering adding a valve with hose to the bottom of them, so when i do water changes, it'll be that much easier to get it into my 5 gal bucket that I carry back and forth
Old 03-26-2006, 05:02 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

hackteck, I agree, I just went through a similar process moving my 75 into a 210 (congrats on your up also...) I used a 44 gallon rubbermaid brute trash can, they're food safe...

I was lucky enough to also get a RO/DI system and hooked up a float valve on the brute, so once it was full I brought it to temp/salinity and added the water thatway... I moved everything from the 75, plus the new base rock, new sand for DSB all at once, but I didn't have very much LR so with the water from the 75 I was able to keep everything covered that needed to be... I don't know, maybe you could use the 55 as a holding tank for the new LR while you fill up the 180.

I used a Mag drive with some tubing attached to move the water...
Old 03-26-2006, 05:49 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to hackteck
yea i may try that i was just tryin to find an easier way of filling the tank besides carrying buckets or buying extra items
Old 03-26-2006, 06:04 PM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

Are you using a RODI unit for the fill? I'd hook that up and let the tank fill and add the salt mix in the tank.
cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 06:06 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

I have to admit it. I took the fast track to getting my 90 gallon filled. I put my substrate in, filled the tank with a Python, treated with a water conditioner, then added my salt mix. Probably not the best idea being that you have live sand though. I then let the return pump run for 48 hours before I added my LR. I do have the luxery of little to no phophate in my tap water though.
Old 03-26-2006, 07:47 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

ColdFish, where do you live w/ no phosphate?

Hackteck, Totally agree with the not buying more stuff, my credit card company loves me right now...
Old 03-26-2006, 09:05 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Activist

I would mix the salt and the water in the tank before adding anything else, then threw in the live sand. It creates one hell of a mess but after it settles after a few days everything will be fine (just in time for your live rock to be added). It sounds like one hell of a chore, I'm looking forward to doing it when I get my big tank.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com