Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 04-04-2005, 09:55 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular
Send a message via AIM to LIMentality420 Send a message via Yahoo to LIMentality420
Filling Tank

Is it ok that i'm mixing the water and salt in 25 gallon rubbermaid tubs first to disolve the salt and get salinety levels correct then add it to my 55 gallon with sand already in it ? I also have heaters in them to heat water to 80 degrees. I'm doing this so my tank isn't cloudy when I add the water into it. I'm gonna put a large plate on top of the sand when I add the water so it doesn't get too stirred up.

55 gal. 15 lbs. LR 15 lbs. BR, 1 Percula Clown, 2 Marginated Damsel, 1 2 inch Niger Trigger, 1 Coral Beauty, 2 Yellowtail Damsels, 2 common Hermit Crabs, 5 Turbo Snails
1.2 Crested Geckos
1.1 Corn Snakes
0.1 Flying Gecko
LIMentality420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 10:04 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak
Send a message via AIM to badfish
When i added my water around three weeks ago it was cloudy for a couple days. i think it would be cloudy regardless. You are probably gonna want to rinse your sand good to get all the dust out, this should cut down on the cloudiness. Im guessing this is your initial set up, so i dont think you need to heat the water before adding to your tank, IMO and i am new to the hobby as well, i would add it to tank first, and get a couple of powerheads going to help dissolve the salt. Best of luck.

50 Gallon Oceanic: 2 maxijet 1200's, 2 150 watt visitherm heaters, BakPak II Skimmer with PS & BT, Coralife Lunar 2X65 watt Power Compacts

Filtration: 50lbs LR.com, 60lbs sand

Swimmers: 2 O. Clowns, Yellow Watchman, Firefish, Yellow Tang, Dottyback.

Clean-Up: Several snail & hermits, Skunk Cleaner, 2 Peps.

Corals: 2 zoo colonies, yellow polyps, star polyps
badfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 10:47 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak
Your making double work and will take longer to fill the tank. mix it in tank since your just starting. Your going to get cloudy water from the sand not the salt, the plate will help.
If your using tap water to fill the tank, I would use a hose and fill it with cold water(hot water will have absorbed more metals and ions). Let the water run a few minutes to flush the pipes then fill tank. Add the salt to the tank and run the powerheads to get the water mixed. What will take you hours to do, will be done in minutes and less likely to spill.
If your using RO or RO/DI I would still fill the tank then add salt
Also you only have to heat the water into the 70's, save electricity let it warm to room temp before you turn on heater.
EJS4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2005, 01:05 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
You can do it either way. It will be good to get into the habit of pre-mixing, and letting it aerate for 24 hours, then puring it in when you have species in there.

79 degrees was a happy medium for me. It all varies on temp in the house, as well as your lighting system. The trick is not to let it fluctuate more than 2-3 degrees during the day.

Salttanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2005, 10:07 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict
The first time you fill, you can mix the salt in the tank. After that, for water changes, use the rubber maid tubs, assuming they are brand new and never had anything in them. plastic is very bad about absorbing chemicals and then leeching it back into water.
Former advisor and planted tank geek...life's moved on though.
malkore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2005, 01:31 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic
If the sand is LS from an established tank then definately mix first and then add. If you dont it will kill the beneficial bacteria. If the sand is dry dead sand it can be done either way the first time.
Vote for AquariumAdvice

28gal bowfront
40lbs livesand(bag from LFS), 30lbs live rock(LR.com)
2 O. Clowns
1 peppermint shrimp, 5 red leg hermit crabs,
4 mexican turbo snails, 15 nassarius snails
ricordea mushroom, candy cane coral,
super color polyps, hairy mushrooms
bubble coral, hawiian feather duster
coralife lunar 2x65, HOT magnum canister
10 Gal refugium(chaeto) & seaclone skimmer
RMPD109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2005, 08:58 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak
Send a message via AIM to AR15 guy
Mixing water inside the tank is a PITA. Especially with sand. You will have to constantly stir the sand up to get any salt that has fallen to the bottom. I would just do what you are doing. It will definetly work.
38 gal SW, CC, 40lbs base rock, 5lbs live, emporer 280, bio-wheel 330,tronic heater, 2 O. clowns, 1 firefish.

29 gal FW, boring...soon to be salt I think.

10 gal SW, 20lbs LS, 20lbs base rock, 1 unhappy domino damsel (he was in the 38...switched the percs and the damesel recently).
AR15 guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2005, 03:17 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict
Cover sand with large plastic bags then put a glass bowl in the center... Pour water into the bowl... You will have little to no sand storm...
like others said if you have LS or LR then mix in can first..

9/02-125 REEF, 125 lbs LR,LS 4x160 VHO, Reef Devil /Sump, Fuge
7/03-55 FOWLR 60lb LR, 50 lb SD sand 2x40 NO strip light, Reef Devil/sump, Fuge

TANK PICS http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=98202
seaham358 is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com