Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 03-17-2008, 12:59 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Activist
For the Rio 1400 pump it's just a different size pre-skimmer box:

I have the Remora Pro w/ Rio 1400 and I use the pre-skimmer listed above and it works great. There really is no place that the two plastic thumb screws attach to on the pump, they just push the pump against the opposite side of the box to hold it in place. Not the best design, but you can get it working well with a little fiddling around. You will probably have to replace the short piece of tubing between the skimmer inlet and the pump with a longer piece to get the pump further down in the pre-skimmer box where the thumb screws can push it against the other side of the box, holding the box in place.

MommaFishels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 03:09 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict
Just so there's no confusion... the link I posted is a DIY surface skimmer and doesn't use Remora Skimmer box. The concept should work with any pump - you just might have to do some trial and error work on the fitting sizes needed.

The size of that Remora thing, as well as the stupid attachment setup MommaFishels noted, made me come up with a different plan.

Kurt_Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 06:03 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak
Send a message via Yahoo to stevefromga2000
i just ordered the skimmer box, so it will get here in about 10 days so i'll have to see what i can do with it then. i'm guessing that the box is going to come with instructions, but do i need to put the box towards the bottom, or at the top at the surface? from what i was reading on the description, i'm assuming that it goes near the surface so that the box itself will skim the surface, but i was curious. thank you for the link momma, and thank you for the ideas on future problems kurt.
stevefromga2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 06:12 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak
i know this may have no relevance for you but i some times have a horrbile time with a film on my water surface. for many a surface ripple works if the film is from your tank. but in my case i live in a very old home and have hard wood floors, old vents and cooling system. i acculmate ALOT of dust in my home. more then the avg, bear! LOL it gets so bad some times i can dip my finger in my tank and pull it out, and it feels so nasty! so i try to keep my door closed and as cover my tank as much as possible and i have seen a great improvement. might not be your problem but i just figured i would throw that out there.

If it was not for mistakes we would never get better.
Frogspawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 09:56 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Newbie
I had this problem too and got rid of it by removing all the fake plants and giving the filter (Aqua Clear 200 in a 33g tank) a total cleaning. I noticed that the surface water wasn't moving enough and now it is. 30 minutes later, the film is gone. Like a previous poster mentioned, the freshwater dried shrimp is probably to blame and no enough circulation to breakup the surface water to get the proteins moving and into the filter made the difference. Hope my 2 cents helps someone.

Memorex88 is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com