Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 09-03-2004, 10:43 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak
filter\ amonia removal

once i have my aquarium fully stocked im worried about have to change the water frequently. I was wondering if a filter would keep the nitrate, nitrite and ammonia at a low level. if there is would you mind recomending a model. im going to the lfs and i need a list of all the stuff i need so awnser quickly.

philly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2004, 11:17 AM   #2
A generous amount of surface area for bateria such as LR is the best method of nitrification. NH3 and NO2 shouldn't be a problem depending on your final bioload. Given enough rock, a 1-2" sandbed and not overstocking the tank will eventually lead to NNR and less need for water changes. No mechanical filter will help with that. Nitrification is easy, dealing with nitrates (de-nitrification) is what takes time and cannot truely be done artificially. It requires anoxic/anaerobic bacteria's which consume the nitrate and convert it to less harmful nitrogen gas and CO2. Once the tank has had time to mature, it will eventually take care of itself but in the meantime, water changes are still the best method of reduction.

amonia, filter, val

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com