Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 04-30-2007, 09:49 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Filter and magazine question

My fliter was used in freshwater, my LFS said i could use it for SW and everthing will change over on its own, is that alright, thanks guys. and i want to get on a SW magazine mailing list, any idea's which are the best to learn more and to view great pictures.

scottytoohottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 09:57 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
What type of filter? Generally a media change and a good cleaning are all that's needed. If you have used copper medication while using the filter, that can cause issues. Copper can be absorbed and later leach out of materials like plastic and silicone. It is highly toxic to invertebrates such as those commonly found on LR. Sorry, I can't help w/ the Mag.

MT79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 08:34 AM   #3
AA Team Emeritus
Send a message via Yahoo to tecwzrd
As Mike said changing out the media and doing a fish less cycle will generate the proper bacteria. If copper has been used either in the tank or with the filter then I'd start from scratch personally to keep from limiting your inverts selections in the future.

Tropical Fish Hobbyist Magazine is one of the best ones.

Our SW book library covers many excellent books as well.

If you haven't figured it out yet I like to BOLD links :P

Vote for AA at Aqua Rank
tecwzrd is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com