Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-21-2002, 01:28 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via MSN to Somethingfishy Send a message via Yahoo to Somethingfishy
Filter and 'SW' tanks

As you all have probably noticed I new to the site.

My question is:

I am looking at, not right now, setting up a 40G S/W aquarium. I have read different reports on the need for a filter, whether it be in ternal or external. I was going to use live sand, a power head and a protein skimmer. Apart from the lighting, which I did not mention, would that be enough for a 40G tank. I am still investigating the contents of the tank ie which fish and combinations of.

Many thanks,

Old 11-21-2002, 02:32 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Depending on what you plan to put in this tank you might need a filter.
If you are putting in a live sand bed with liverock you will not need a filter for filtration purposes, The LR, Sand bed & Protein skimmer will filter your tank. If you are not putting in LR & Live sand bed you will need a filter the type is up to you Cannister or hang on style. I am currently using both styles IMO I would go with the cannister style a little harder to maintain but does a better job filtering the tank and also has a spray bar to add in water movement. If at all possible I would add a sump setup and place your hardware IE: Heater, protien skimmer, etc. This could also be where you can place your Foam pads and carbon when needed. Until you are sure of what and how you are going to setup this tank filtration methods will vary. Hope this helps if not feel free to contact myself or other members. Good luck

75 gal. Reef & 30 gal. Anemone Tanks.

I get paid for what I may have to do, Not for what I do!
EMS503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2002, 05:39 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via MSN to Somethingfishy Send a message via Yahoo to Somethingfishy
Thanks EMS,

I will cotinue to look into it and let you know.

Tags
filter, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com