Filter for 100 gallon reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zactheninja

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Okay, I've been working on this plan for a while, what would be the best form of filtration for a 100 gallon reef?
I know sumps are the preferred filtration for reefs, but I've never really used one, what should I know about them?

Any info and recommendations are completely welcomed.

Zactheninja said:

This sump/fuge was made from a 55g overflows go into skimmer compartment over baffles into main sump pump then returns to dt and also tees off to refugium to control flow through fuge id only reccommend 1000gph going through sump

Attachments

• _2.facebook_55152.jpg
    _2.facebook_55152.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 107
danbstrong said:
This sump/fuge was made from a 55g overflows go into skimmer compartment over baffles into main sump pump then returns to dt and also tees off to refugium to control flow through fuge id only reccommend 1000gph going through sump

That's an insanely well thought out system. Kuddos.

Several different types of sumps. 1. You could have a wet/dry trickle filter sump which uses bio balls or similar material. 2. You could have what is called a berlin sump, which is basically just a protein skimmer or 3. You could have a refugium set up, which uses macro algae to help export nutrients.

All three protein skimmers can be used, and probably should be used.

Sumps are usually stored under the display tank in the stand. You would habe an overflow box or two to run the water from the display to the sump, then a small pump to return the water.

Most sumps use filter bags in the first chamber as the first step in the mechanical filtration.

Basic info to get you started. I would research the 3 basic types of sump and decide what is best for your situation

Why do they use overflow boxes?
Wouldn't it be easier to have two pumps and have one take from the main tank and the other act as the return?

Zactheninja said:
Why do they use overflow boxes?
Wouldn't it be easier to have two pumps and have one take from the main tank and the other act as the return?

Imagine the return pump fails and the pump putting water in the sump keeps runing.

The overflow box will only drain what is in the box, which shouldnt be enough to spill over out of the sump.

JustinKBreen said:
Imagine the return pump fails and the pump putting water in the sump keeps runing.

The overflow box will only drain what is in the box, which shouldnt be enough to spill over out of the sump.

Oh, that's better thought out than I thought it out to be. :eek:

Back
Top Bottom