filter media

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

craig_will2513

Aquarium Advice Freak
hi all i have a juwel 125. it has a built in filter collum in the right hand corner of the tank. at the min it has all the normal filter sponges in and some ceramic rings. as it was a tropical tank i converted my self iam not sure that the media in it now is very good.. this is because i have a massive nitrate problem at the min. what i want to know is should i remove all this media thats in it now and what to replace it with.. i know some people would say use live rock rubble but i have a few questions on this. 1 does the lrr need light at the filter box dont get any and 2 would i need anything els in the filter many thanks in advance

I run purigen, chemipure elite and filter floss in my biocube and have had great success with it. I also have a fuge in the back where the bioballs used to be that has chaeto in it, no live rock yet. :) live rock rubble would not require a light by the way but the macro algae does.

Hope that helps a bit

From my experience it has been a good choice to replace the stock filter media. :) My water is crystal clear and the chemipure elite has GFO in it so it hekps with phosphates and algae. The live rock will just replace bio balls which in such a small system I'm not 100% that it will help. Unless of course you have nitrate issues now then it would be a plus.

Back
Top Bottom