Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-23-2004, 12:51 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

The problem is that the filter media traps the stuff and gunk and it then rots leading to high levels of nitrate in the tank. This means more water changes for you or else more deaths of inverts.

That gunk that gets trapped will get cleaned up by the snails and hermits and worms and what not living in your LR and LS.

But adding LR to a filter will do the same thing in that the inverts won't really live in there.. There are ways of keeping LR in a filter setup but I am not up on those, fuges and sumps ect...

Old 02-23-2004, 01:12 PM   #12
AA Team Emeritus

If you use the layer of filter padding you deprive your corals and pods and skimmer of it. Many of the critters in our tank will eat the particulates that are in the water column, and if it reaches the skimmer it is removed from the tank entirely. If it is caught in the filter padding it sits there and rots producing nutrients for pest algaes to feed on, until the filter padding is replaced. Like I said, if you use it, replace it often

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2004, 01:27 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Also some quilt battings have additives like flame retarders or anti bacterial stuff added so watch out. But I would agree on not using any media or you just end up with a nitrate producer.
that is what is what i was wooried about. flame retardent. is it bad has any one had any experience using floss stuffing. i have read from a few freshwater junkies that they use the stuff regularly with no ill effects.

currently i wash out my filter pads twice a week. but i was looking for a cheaper alternative that would allow my to replace them out right.

on that note, not meaning to rock anyones boat ( i am new to the whole reef tank thing) it would seem to me that it would not matter where the decomposistion takes place. in a filter or in a tank or in a belly your end results are the same amonia to nitite to nitrate. the filter process allows me to remove the bad stuff before it has a chance to completely decompose.

i am not suggesting that anyone change there habits. there are three things that ive learned in the past 6 months. consistancie; patience; if its working, leave it alone. one guy will say change 10% of your water every week another says 25% every month another says hes never changed his water (i like that idea there is nothing worse than plopping down 50$ for a bucket of salt)

anyways back to my question does anyone know where to find some bulk filter pad? the kind without flame retardent. i would love to find a financaily possible way to change pads with new every other day.

Peppermint Shrimp:
Crush two tbs minced mint leaves (no stems) with the juice of two limes, two tbs of sugar and a shot of light rum. Marinade eight cleaned jumbo shrimp for two hours in fridge or overnight (overnight is best). Skewer and salt shrimp. Broil or grill over medium high heat until shrimp become opaque (apx. two and a half min per side). Serve with black beans cooked with garlic, green onions, bacon and topped with a slice of lime.
douggiestyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2004, 09:02 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

What kind of unit?

Vote for AquariumAdvice
dralarms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2004, 09:34 AM   #15
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
it would seem to me that it would not matter where the decomposistion takes place. in a filter or in a tank or in a belly your end results are the same amonia to nitite to nitrate. the filter process allows me to remove the bad stuff before it has a chance to completely decompose.
The difference is the proximity to the denitrifying bacteria, the fact that what yyour critters eat some is used to provide energy for the critter, therfore less is actually decomposing, and if it is removed by a skimmer it is removed from the system, totally out of the water column.

Believe it or not, it makes al big difference.

Old 02-24-2004, 09:40 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to jamal-188
Do you think I should keep my filter pads in for now until i can get a bigger/better skimmer? My filter pads get really dirty in the matter of a day or 2.
Old 02-24-2004, 10:04 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Do you think I should keep my filter pads in for now until i can get a bigger/better skimmer?
what type of problems are you having

Peppermint Shrimp:
Crush two tbs minced mint leaves (no stems) with the juice of two limes, two tbs of sugar and a shot of light rum. Marinade eight cleaned jumbo shrimp for two hours in fridge or overnight (overnight is best). Skewer and salt shrimp. Broil or grill over medium high heat until shrimp become opaque (apx. two and a half min per side). Serve with black beans cooked with garlic, green onions, bacon and topped with a slice of lime.
Old 02-24-2004, 10:05 AM   #18
AA Team Emeritus

I would try without it and see what happens, you might be surprised at how much the detrivores in your tank take out. There is no problem in using the prefilters, provided they are cleaned well or replaced often.

Old 02-24-2004, 10:07 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
the fact that what yyour critters eat some is used to provide energy for the critter
which in turn creates amonia? yes,no.

Peppermint Shrimp:
Old 02-24-2004, 10:12 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
and if it is removed by a skimmer it is removed from the system, totally out of the water column
i aggree 100%

but will a skimmer remove large particles?

Peppermint Shrimp:

Tags
filter, filter media, media

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com