Filter opened while moving

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Secios

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi,

I'm very new to the whole hobby but today while moving my filter it acidently opened and now there are things floating in the water?

This is my filter(Auqu-flow 50):
aqua-flow-50-filter-100-l-h.jpg

Will it become normal again?
There are plants in it, i'm still in the wait time.

Thnx in advance

What does it look like? Is it just gunk (technical term ;) ) from the filter running or is it plastic?

oke i check it again and now those things are back where they were. They stick at the bottom of the filter where the air holes are. It looks to me like they are from the plants but i dont know. Any idea?
The aquarium is running since 16/12

Could be roots from your plants or could be a worm. I'm drawing a blank on the name of white worms... hmm. It'll come to me...

I guess it are roots from my plants, i remove them when i refresh my water?

Thnx for your replies !

Hi i have another question, during the cycle peroid, should i use plants ? And if the pet store after 3 weeks says that my water is bad, i need to start it all over ?

Hi i have another question, during the cycle peroid, should i use plants ? And if the pet store after 3 weeks says that my water is bad, i need to start it all over ?

Plants are fine during the cycle period. And as far as your water being "bad," what parameter(s) are bad? The big things to look out for are ammonia and nitrite which you want at zero. Beware of notrates as well. You'd like those at zero, but unless you are keeping more sensitive species, as high as 10ppm isn't too awful.

How are you cycling your tank? Many who don't know any better think that cycling is just letting water circulate, but what you are trying to do is grow a bacteria bed. This take a food source to produce ammonia. This can come from chemical ammonia, a dead shrimp, or fish waste. Most folks recommend against the last one because it takes a living fish to get fish poop, you essentially have a pet being tortured by swimming in its own waste during the cycle period.

I'm going to buy a testkit thursday, i will post them when i get the results. I use sera bio nitrivec for the bacteria. You are totally right fishless cyclying is the best! The first 5 days i kept the filter below water level and there was no bubbles, now i read that agitation helps the bacteria growing so i putted the filter higher so there is more sprinkling and more bubbles(before i had no bubbles) , now i have more bubbles on the plants etc. Oh and i used a little nitrivic because i tought there was no oxygen for the bacteria so they were almost dead so i added some. Btw can u use to much of the bio nitrivic? Oh my tank is really little only 15 liters. I have three living plants. Any stockings you recommend?

Thnx in advandce

Back
Top Bottom