Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 10-04-2010, 10:10 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak
filter question

so im at the end of my cycle on my 28 gallon bowfront. im doing partial water changes to lower the nitrates,should i take out the fluval 305 canister filter and clean it?? all it has in it is the little ceramic peices and filter pads. my biological filter is in the live sand,and rock rite? will it help me or hurt me to clean out the canister filter?? also is a sump a must have on a 28 gallon?

bigford84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 10:20 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

A sump is not a must have, it's a nice to have. Increased volume, hidden equipment, possible fuge, pH stabilization, etc.

Pulling the filter entirely will probably cause a minor mini-cycle. The rock and sand should be the primary bacterial hosts, but there will be some in your filter media as well. If you pull it, test afterwards and give the rock a few days to catch up.
Question everything you see on the internet. ~ George Orwell
HN1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com