Filter question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fisshboy

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi all, i have an empty sumped juwel vision 180 so iv decided to turn it into a home for a either new fish in QT or a lionfish im undecided yet.

Anyway all i have at the min is a bare tank with heater and filter, i have been dosing ammonia to cycle the filter and was wondering does the water have to be heated or can the good bacteria survive at around 20 Celsius which is my room temp ? Also what sort of salinity ranges can they survive in? I ran out of salt after filling the tank its around 1.020 will this be okay for a few days?

Thanks

No heater required for cycling.

That salt level will also be adequate for the entire cycle... just adjust it before adding any livestock.

Thanks for the reply, its on its way now cycling i have a new regal tang thats got ich i need the tank cycle to hurry up so i can QT all my fish and treat them :-/

If this is to be a QT/Hospital tank, why are your cycling. If your fish has ick, using hyposalinity will kill most of the BB and apparently send the rest into hybernation. In any case, they go on vacation and you will have to do significant water changes instead. If you decide to use copper to treat ick, it will kill the BB. Therefore frequent water changes.
In any case, hospital tanks don't need to be cycled, although a QT could be.

Its not really practical for me to do waterchanges to keep levels down closest place that does saltwater is 25miles away im gonna try the esha odinex wide range marine treatment it says its invert/coral safe has anyone had any sucess with this in the past?

Back
Top Bottom