Filter question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kb322

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 55 gallon fish only that I'm converting to a reef. I'll be putting in LS & LR. My question is that my current filter is a Nova Conversion Filter-75 (yes, its old). It has several compartments that include a countercurrent protein skimmer, prefilter, carbon chamber, biological foam media and calcite buffer chamber. Can I keep using this or should I ditch it and buy a PS? Any advantage of using both the fexisting filter and PS?

Welcome to AquariumAdvice.com! :smilecolros: :smilecolros: :smilecolros:
I am unfamiliar with the filter you are describing. My suggestion is to go with a Berlin style filtration. 3-4 inch LS substrate and 90-110lbs of LR should just about do it. Add on a good skimmer and your filtration needs will be more then met. Good luck...Lando

thanks! I've read the article on Berlin filtration and think I understand it but it leads me to another question. My tnak has been running for about 2 years with 3 fish in it - a blue damsel and 2 clown fish along with a couple hermit crabs. I'm getting enough LS (fully cured) from a friend for a 3" bed and planned on ordering about 40 lbs of LR from Liverocks.com. I've order 60 lbs of base rock from hirocks.com to save cost reading that this base rock will eventually turn into LR. A friend can house my fish for a week or two but certainly not 4-6 weeks it takes to normally cycle a tank. When I add my 3 fish back to the tank afetr 1-2 weeks, will the 40 lbs of LR along with a new PS be enough for filtration or should I leave my current filter running for a couple months?

I would leave your current filter in place for a while. that will help kick start the cycle. If you are using LS from an exsisting tank your cycle time should be shorter.

Back
Top Bottom