filter selection

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jason M

Aquarium Advice Freak
I was at the pet shop and was looking at canister filters. Now there were two that I thought were good. First choice is the "Fluval 405" and the second was the "Magnum 305" with a reusable filter. Both of which are rated for 100 gallon tanks. What do you guys recommend minding I'm starting a 40 or 60 gallon tank?

If it were me I'd go with the fluval. I'm currently running a fluval 305 on my 55g setup and have never had any issues with it. The only caveat is that with a canister you MUST keep it clean or you will have your own nitrate factory right in the filter. lol

I run biomedia, carbon and filter floss in my fluval. I like that it has trays so you can add anything you might need down the road like GFO for phosphates or anything else.

nothing wrong with the marineland products either. i've used the marineland filters and they are great and are a reasonable price, my girlfriend also uses two fluval in tank filters for her turtle tank and has no issues with it. she has kept cichlids alive in there for over a year until one of her turtles decided to be a tool and ate them :(

Magnum or Marineland C-series? Either way I would not recommend either. Both are inferior to Fluval. Definitely go with the Fluval 405.

ANY filter can become a nitrate factory if neglected, people just tend to neglect canisters more.

thanks guys I like the fluvals options options of everything to stick in the containers only downfall its expensive. One thing at a time

Amazon.com sells them shipped for less than retailers pay direct from Hagen. It is big 'screw you' from Hagen to all small retailers, but good for hobbyists' wallets.

Back
Top Bottom