Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-16-2013, 10:52 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Filter socks

I have been doing a bit or research on filter socks as I wanted to try and get some of the debris out of my water and so decided to try and make my own. I used craft felt, created a tube that I thought looked appropriate and then slipped it on to the down pipe into my sump. It seemed to be working ok for the evening so I went to be and when I woke up my sump had lost about half it's water and the carpet was quite wet.

I am not sure what I have done wrong. My return pump only has one speed so could not change that.

If anyone could start me off on where I could have gone wrong then I would really appreciate it as there are probably lots of things I have not considered.

Thanks

Old 10-16-2013, 11:03 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Was the top of the filter sock overhanging the sump while the filter sock was overfilling?

When using filter socks for the first time and you had no other filter pad type of mechanical filtration you need to swap them our quite frequently at first as they get clogged very fast.

Old 10-16-2013, 11:30 AM   #3

Yeah the top of the sock was higher than the top of the sump. I guess that could have caused the spillage with water flowing out of the top.

So if I taped it to the pipe, not going over the height of the sump would that prevent the same happening?

Thanks
Old 10-16-2013, 12:02 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

That or make sure the pipe and sock are further inside the sump away from the edges so if the socks do overflow they at least overflow into the sump. What ever works for you and your setup.
Old 10-16-2013, 12:50 PM   #5

Thanks for your help. I will give it a shot!

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com