filter sponge?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chefbill

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a 29g biocube with a fuge in the 2nd chamber. There is a filter sponge between the return pump and the fuge. It is a pretty coarse material. My question is should it stay or should it go? Like I said, it's coarse, but coarse enough for 'pods to travel?

no idea, I never considered that. Should I remove it and see what happens? Doubt any chaeto will enter DT, it is stuck together well.

It's probably there for a bubble trap. I've seen those in a few premade sumps at my LFS but I wondered how much flow they'd restrict over time as they get gunked up?

It's probably there for a bubble trap. I've seen those in a few premade sumps at my LFS but I wondered how much flow they'd restrict over time as they get gunked up?

That is exactly what made me wonder. I did my WC and removed ~50% of my chaeto, then pulled the sponge to clean it, and saw it was very gunked up. Now, gunk removal is great, but why have a refugium if the pods can not pass through to the DT?

ok, update. removing the sponge caused a ton of bubbles as well as several (a dozen at least) small fragments of chaeto to enter the DT. Also a fair amount of gunk.

This begs the question: when doing aWC, siphon out the fuge or leave as is as pod food?

ok, update. removing the sponge caused a ton of bubbles as well as several (a dozen at least) small fragments of chaeto to enter the DT. Also a fair amount of gunk.

This begs the question: when doing aWC, siphon out the fuge or leave as is as pod food?

If it were me, I would clean the sponge when doing a WC, rinse it with old tank water. This will get the bigger pieces of gunk off, but will not destroy the bacteria. As long as the pods can navigate through it, keep using it as a bubble trap.

Its there to prevent any gunk from going into the return pump. :)

I left mine in there, just gotta rinse it when you do tank maintenance..

So what are people doing with these homemade sumps out of 40b? I don't see any sponges in those sumps?

Back
Top Bottom