Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-06-2012, 01:27 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Filter sugestions for a 140g tank

I have a 30g saltwater tank. I'm. Up grading to a 140g and needing a little help figuring out what filter to get. I've been looking at three; the Fluval Fx5, fluval G6 and the Diatom XL. I would greatly appreciate the advice.

Old 10-06-2012, 03:19 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

Well will it be a fish or coral/ fish combo.

Old 10-06-2012, 03:23 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza101
Well will it be a fish or coral/ fish combo.
Well regardless I would try to talk you into getting a sump/fuge as a primary filtration system for a reef tank! But we all have our own opinions..
Old 10-06-2012, 04:39 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Newbie

I am going to have coral also, but at this time I can't afford to buy a refug. I'm kinda in a hurry to get it up and going. A friend often can no longer have his tank so I am getting all his fish, rock and anemones.
Old 10-06-2012, 12:34 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

In that case I have always liked the fluval's. they all seem to outlSt the others but I would invest in some good media for it if that's what your going to use!
Old 10-06-2012, 12:37 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

I agree with pizza . Sum or even a wetdry is better than fluval. You can use your old tank to be the sum or wetdry. Plus you need a chiller
Old 10-06-2012, 03:33 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

Buy the way setting up a sump/ fuge you could do for probably less money than any of the three canisters you have listed. Example of what I'm doing with my tank is run it with the sump/ fuge and protein skimmer for the last two years and then add a canister when you add a reasonable amount of fish to the tank just to help keep the tank clean and also adds some water movement which is so important. A deepsandbed would also help. If your doing corals in the tank then there is no rushing anything or you will loose a lot of money by not doing it the right way. Reef keeping to me is the patient persons sport
Old 10-06-2012, 03:41 PM   #8
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayme View Post
I am going to have coral also, but at this time I can't afford to buy a refug. I'm kinda in a hurry to get it up and going. A friend often can no longer have his tank so I am getting all his fish, rock and anemones.
I built a sump out of a 20 long for 45 dollars. Tank cost 35, went to Lowes and had 4 pieces of glass cut to size, and siliconed them in place. 8 dollar clip on work light from walmart and my middle section became a fuge. A sump will save you more time, money, and frustrations.
Sniperhank is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 05:16 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniperhank

I built a sump out of a 20 long for 45 dollars. Tank cost 35, went to Lowes and had 4 pieces of glass cut to size, and siliconed them in place. 8 dollar clip on work light from walmart and my middle section became a fuge. A sump will save you more time, money, and frustrations.
If I may ask? What type of glass did you buy for the sump and the thickness. Also did you buy the tank separate or made a DIY sump tank?
Old 10-07-2012, 04:50 PM   #10

Sniper can you reply?

Tags
40 gallon, filter, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com