Filter sugestions for a 140g tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jayme

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 30g saltwater tank. I'm. Up grading to a 140g and needing a little help figuring out what filter to get. I've been looking at three; the Fluval Fx5, fluval G6 and the Diatom XL. I would greatly appreciate the advice.

Pizza101 said:
Well will it be a fish or coral/ fish combo.

Well regardless I would try to talk you into getting a sump/fuge as a primary filtration system for a reef tank! But we all have our own opinions..

I am going to have coral also, but at this time I can't afford to buy a refug. I'm kinda in a hurry to get it up and going. A friend often can no longer have his tank so I am getting all his fish, rock and anemones.

In that case I have always liked the fluval's. they all seem to outlSt the others but I would invest in some good media for it if that's what your going to use!

I agree with pizza . Sum or even a wetdry is better than fluval. You can use your old tank to be the sum or wetdry. Plus you need a chiller

Buy the way setting up a sump/ fuge you could do for probably less money than any of the three canisters you have listed. Example of what I'm doing with my tank is run it with the sump/ fuge and protein skimmer for the last two years and then add a canister when you add a reasonable amount of fish to the tank just to help keep the tank clean and also adds some water movement which is so important. A deepsandbed would also help. If your doing corals in the tank then there is no rushing anything or you will loose a lot of money by not doing it the right way. Reef keeping to me is the patient persons sport :)

I am going to have coral also, but at this time I can't afford to buy a refug. I'm kinda in a hurry to get it up and going. A friend often can no longer have his tank so I am getting all his fish, rock and anemones.

I built a sump out of a 20 long for 45 dollars. Tank cost 35, went to Lowes and had 4 pieces of glass cut to size, and siliconed them in place. 8 dollar clip on work light from walmart and my middle section became a fuge. A sump will save you more time, money, and frustrations.

Sniperhank said:
I built a sump out of a 20 long for 45 dollars. Tank cost 35, went to Lowes and had 4 pieces of glass cut to size, and siliconed them in place. 8 dollar clip on work light from walmart and my middle section became a fuge. A sump will save you more time, money, and frustrations.

If I may ask? What type of glass did you buy for the sump and the thickness. Also did you buy the tank separate or made a DIY sump tank?

Back
Top Bottom