Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 11-09-2004, 05:56 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak
Filter system confusion

My 75 gal SW tank is in cycle stage at the moment. I will be stocking it with fish , LR , and some corals in the future. I am using a Fluval 404 canister, and i'm thinking about adding a Marineland 400 Wet Dry Bio wheel filter as well. The guy at my LFS says that bio wheel helps removes amonia...
But, someone on here also mentioned that bio wheel increases nitrate. So, should i use it or no? Could someone please explain this to me? Thanks!

IfoundNemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2004, 06:03 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak
Send a message via AIM to nodoubt471
the bio wheel does increse nitrates. you should not use it. basically, it will become a nutrient sink, and instead of removing nitrates it will add them back into the tank. if you really want to run it, take out the biowheel.

why do you want to add the additional filter? if it were me, i would simply add powerheads for additional circulation. you already have a filter! no need for another!

nodoubt471 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2004, 07:05 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic
If you use at least 1 pound per gallon of LR you should not need additional filtration with a normal bioload. Put the money towards a good skimmer and a few PH's. If you want to keep using the fluval use it for GAC only and clean it often. Good Luck.
46g SW, 65 lbs Fiji LR, 4" Aragamax DSB, Coralife 2X96w CF, CPR Bakpak II, CPR Aquafuge 12 w/ 2x9 Coralife Mini Aqualight, 4 Maxijet 600's, PCI 200W Titanium Heater, 2 Blue Green Chromis, 1 Gold Bar Maroon Clown, 1 Purple-Stripe Dottyback, Finger Leather, Trumpets, Rose Coral Open-Brain, Pagoda Cup, Xenia, Star Polyps, Yellow Polyps, Various Mushrooms, Toadstool Leather, 12 Astraea, 10 Nassarius, 4 Bumble Bee, 6 Cerith Snails, 12 Red Tip Hermits.
phases99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2004, 01:12 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak
I installed 2 PH last night. Ditched the Bio Wheel. BTW,what is a good skimmer to get? I need one that doesn't drip SW all over my hardwood floor.
75 gal SW
55 gal FW
IfoundNemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2004, 01:15 AM   #5
AA Team Emeritus
Send a message via Yahoo to loganj
Aqua C Remora Pro with a Mag 3 pump. Don't even consider the Prizm or Prizm Pro if you like your hardwood unsalted.
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.
Logan J
loganj is offline   Reply With Quote

filter, stem, system

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com