Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-23-2017, 11:11 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Filtered water

Hi guys / gals -

If I live a long way from a marine store is getting seal/filtered water at the grocery store ok to use. Trying to not use TAP water.

Old 08-23-2017, 11:42 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

If it is distilled or purified water it will work in a pinch but it is not ideal because it will still have some impurities in it.

If it is "drinking" or "spring" water it is basically just tap/ground water from somewhere else that may or may not have been filtered. These would not be suitable.

The best thing to do would be to test it yourself with a TDS meter.

Personally, I would either use the water from a known source like an LFS or invest in an RODI setup at your house.

Old 08-23-2017, 04:28 PM   #3
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Getting your own ro/du unit would be a long term solution to this issue and save you a ton of money in the long run.
When I first got married, I lost my small kitchen when my wife took it over. This resulted in the ro/du unit being shut down to make way for this and that. This lead me to distilled water. It took several years of fighting algae from the distilled water, but it did work for the time being, until she was tired of carrying 30 gallons into the house every week until I got a smaller ro/di unit, bring the aqua twist.
Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ate, filter, red, water

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com