Filtered water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SaltyReedAndRy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi guys / gals -

If I live a long way from a marine store is getting seal/filtered water at the grocery store ok to use. Trying to not use TAP water.

If it is distilled or purified water it will work in a pinch but it is not ideal because it will still have some impurities in it.

If it is "drinking" or "spring" water it is basically just tap/ground water from somewhere else that may or may not have been filtered. These would not be suitable.

The best thing to do would be to test it yourself with a TDS meter.

Personally, I would either use the water from a known source like an LFS or invest in an RODI setup at your house.

Getting your own ro/du unit would be a long term solution to this issue and save you a ton of money in the long run.
When I first got married, I lost my small kitchen when my wife took it over. This resulted in the ro/du unit being shut down to make way for this and that. This lead me to distilled water. It took several years of fighting algae from the distilled water, but it did work for the time being, until she was tired of carrying 30 gallons into the house every week until I got a smaller ro/di unit, bring the aqua twist.

Back
Top Bottom