Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-30-2014, 05:05 PM   #21
Aquarium Advice Addict

For what the OP's plans are, it wouldn't not work.
If you look at his other thread, it's not correct and it wouldn't work well.
So not using the HOB with what he wants to do, isn't a good choice.

Old 09-30-2014, 05:29 PM   #22
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macscale View Post
For what the OP's plans are, it wouldn't not work.
If you look at his other thread, it's not correct and it wouldn't work well.
So not using the HOB with what he wants to do, isn't a good choice.

I just have no clue how to run a HoB properly without having to spend £20 on bags of media every other week..

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Old 09-30-2014, 09:35 PM   #23
Aquarium Advice Addict

You only need to replace media every 4-8 weeks depending on the media.
I think it's time to do some more research.
Old 10-01-2014, 03:25 AM   #24
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
You only need to replace media every 4-8 weeks depending on the media.
I think it's time to do some more research.

I'm spending 50% of my day researching...
Just when I think I'm getting somewhere, someone on this thread just shuts me down.

Old 10-01-2014, 03:32 AM   #25
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

The secret is... its always time to do more research!

The only media im aware of that needs to be replaced every couple weeks is carbon and nobody really uses that.
Old 10-01-2014, 03:40 AM   #26
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mebbid View Post

The only media im aware of that needs to be replaced every couple weeks is carbon and nobody really uses that.

Exactly, so either scrap the filter altogether or just run mechanical, right?

Old 10-01-2014, 03:46 AM   #27
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCXGT View Post
Exactly, so either scrap the filter altogether or just run mechanical, right?

or run chemi-pure or another like media.
Old 10-01-2014, 09:22 AM   #28
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mebbid View Post

Chemipure needs to be replaced 4-6 weeks I believe. GFO up to 6 I believe. Carbon is also up to 6. Phosguard is averaged around 4..
Old 10-01-2014, 09:40 AM   #29
Aquarium Advice Addict

OP. If you want to run the tank without a HOB filter, this is what you should be doing.

Instead of the 8 pounds of rock you want to use, shoot for 15-20. That way it will make up for the biological media.

Use two Koralia 420s. This way your detritus won't settle, since you won't have a filter to pick it up.

Some info on HOBS.
Carbon is an extremely common media.. So the comment about nobody using it made no rational sense. It is most commonly used in reactors, but many people run it in HOBs. It lasts for long periods of time, reduces tank odors, and makes your water clear as heck.

In your HOB, it's a good idea to run filter floss. This will catch any pieces floating in your water. Simple poly filter from Walmart will do the job. A big bag is relatively cheap at $5. You just put a piece in and change it every 2-3 days.

Phosguard is a "rechargeable" phosphate reducing media from Seachem. It's commonly used in tanks where a GFO reactor is not applicable. It's lifespan varies on how much work it must do. The higher flow area it is in, the more efficient it will be.

Chemipure is a mixture of carbon GFO and some special stuff. There are 3 different types available at the moment. Chemipure, Chemipure ELITE, and Chemipure Blue.
Chemipure is the original, and does its job well. Basically combines GFO and carbon. Chemipure ELITE is a little more advanced. It works faster, and is more common to find. Chemipure Blue was released a few months ago.. I've never used it so I can't tell you much.
Any of the Chemipures last around 6 weeks.

If you don't want a HOB, it may be beneficial to look at a sump. It's basically an external tank where equipment is stored. The extra water volume will make the system more stable. It also gives you space to run a refugium. A Refugium is a breeding zone for pods, and a place to grow macro algae. Macro algae can help nutrient export.

Without the HOB, I'd also recommend doing water changes more frequently. Maybe 2-3 gallons 2x a week.

The problem with your research is that your finding varying opinions on the Internet and they're getting to you.
Always research any purchase before you buy it, and never ever stop researching.
Old 10-01-2014, 10:09 AM   #30
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
OP. If you want to run the tank without a HOB filter, this is what you should be doing.

Instead of the 8 pounds of rock you want to use, shoot for 15-20. That way it will make up for the biological media.

Use two Koralia 420s. This way your detritus won't settle, since you won't have a filter to pick it up.

Some info on HOBS.
Carbon is an extremely common media.. So the comment about nobody using it made no rational sense. It is most commonly used in reactors, but many people run it in HOBs. It lasts for long periods of time, reduces tank odors, and makes your water clear as heck.

In your HOB, it's a good idea to run filter floss. This will catch any pieces floating in your water. Simple poly filter from Walmart will do the job. A big bag is relatively cheap at $5. You just put a piece in and change it every 2-3 days.

Phosguard is a "rechargeable" phosphate reducing media from Seachem. It's commonly used in tanks where a GFO reactor is not applicable. It's lifespan varies on how much work it must do. The higher flow area it is in, the more efficient it will be.

Chemipure is a mixture of carbon GFO and some special stuff. There are 3 different types available at the moment. Chemipure, Chemipure ELITE, and Chemipure Blue.
Chemipure is the original, and does its job well. Basically combines GFO and carbon. Chemipure ELITE is a little more advanced. It works faster, and is more common to find. Chemipure Blue was released a few months ago.. I've never used it so I can't tell you much.
Any of the Chemipures last around 6 weeks.

If you don't want a HOB, it may be beneficial to look at a sump. It's basically an external tank where equipment is stored. The extra water volume will make the system more stable. It also gives you space to run a refugium. A Refugium is a breeding zone for pods, and a place to grow macro algae. Macro algae can help nutrient export.

Without the HOB, I'd also recommend doing water changes more frequently. Maybe 2-3 gallons 2x a week.

The problem with your research is that your finding varying opinions on the Internet and they're getting to you.
Always research any purchase before you buy it, and never ever stop researching.

Thanks for the info.
I know I've been a pain but I've got nowhere else to ask these stupid questions.

Would you recommend the HoB being used solely for either chemical or mechanical?
This is really what I'm wanting to try.

Tags
filter, nano

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com