Filtering a Nano?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't appreciate your rude, arrogant and incorrect comments.

Using Internet links doesn't prove any of your points. Actually it contradicts your closing statement?
A small minority of the Reefing community uses online forums. So that doesn't count for anything.

Using internet links works assuming you have a reputable source for the link posted. Which both of the links I posted are.

The comment about the 20ppm nitrates in a FOWLR is a terrible idea. Fish can be extremely sensitive to Nirtates, and they will die in the tank.
Suggesting up to 20ppm is very very, inhumane and shouldn't be done.
You should always try to keep nitrates around 5ppm. Even with SPS 0 is a bad idea. 2-3ppm is a better idea. To clean can cause STN problems.

As I mentioned to the original poster to ask for sources of information, would you care to share with us where you learned that?

I agree that you should keep your nitrates as low as possible, however 20ppm is perfectly well tolerated by fish.

Using internet links works assuming you have a reputable source for the link posted. Which both of the links I posted are.

As I mentioned to the original poster to ask for sources of information, would you care to share with us where you learned that?

I agree that you should keep your nitrates as low as possible, however 20ppm is perfectly well tolerated by fish.

May I ask where you learned everything and anything you mentioned in the thread?

The answer to your question first and foremost is EXPERIENCE. It beats any and every website or book in the world.

Also, this has gotten off topic and it's taking away the purpose of this thread. You're also further driving the OP away from trusting any information, by trying to be right all the time.

May I ask where you learned everything and anything you mentioned in the thread?

The answer to your question first and foremost is EXPERIENCE. It beats any and every website or book in the world.

Also, this has gotten off topic and it's taking away the purpose of this thread. You're also further driving the OP away from trusting any information, by trying to be right all the time.

You're right, this thread has been driven a bit too far off course. But I would like to add that I am not the only one here that's trying to be right all the time. If anyone would like a source for ANY of the information I pointed out I would be happy to provide it if you send me a PM.

I've chosen a Koralia 1600, this is shifting at least 45x my tanks volume..
I've also heard that Koralia's spread the flow rather than direct it.

Surely this is strong enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Yeah, it'll be plenty. It'll also be a good addition if you choose to upgrade the tank a ways down the road. It's common when people start off with a smaller tank they get an itch for salt water and quickly outgrow their tanks :) That's exactly what I did.

+1 to everything states by mebbid.

If it were me I'd do two 240s, however one 425 would work fine. Can't wait for this build

+1 to everything states by mebbid.

If it were me I'd do two 240s, however one 425 would work fine. Can't wait for this build

Well I can't get the 240's or 425's over in the UK.

I'm pretty sure I'm limited to their equivalent's, the 900 and 1600.

The 1600 is only £3 more than the 900 for some reason so I think I'll just go bigger.

This is my not-at-all confusing list of equipment so far:

Starting Nano Reef

Test Kit - API Liquid High Range PH Test Kit (Amazon.co.uk)

Tank - 10G (already got)

Lighting - DBPOWER® 48 LED White Blue Light 3 Mode Fish Tank Aquarium Clip Lamp Adjustable Soft Arm (Amazon.co.uk)

Heater - 200w (already got)

Powerhead - Hydor Koralia Nano 1600 Circulation and Wave Pump (Amazon.co.uk)

5kg Rock - Pukani Dry Rock (live-rock.co.uk)

5kg Live Sand - Caribsea Aragonite (Dobbies)

*Optional* Salt Mix - Kent Reef Salt Mix

Chemical Filtration - Chemi-Pure Elite (Amazon.co.uk)

Refractometer - RHS-10ATC 0-10% Salinity Refractometer Salt Water Aquarium (Amazon.co.uk)

Fill the tank with water and add salt until the specific gravity is 1.023.

Place the powerhead in immediately so it will help mix the salt. Now is also the time to place in your heater and get the water temperature to 78 degrees.

Once your s.g. has reached it's proper level, you can add the live rock and live sand.

Once the rock is where you like it, you can pour the live sand around the rocks, keeping it at a fairly even thickness throughout the tank.

You could also looks at te fluval c series powerheads. That's what I use. I use the smallest being 265 gph

Sounds pretty good to me. If you're going to go for a reef I would suggest higher quality test kits such as the red sea kits or hannah checkers.

You could also looks at te fluval c series powerheads. That's what I use. I use the smallest being 265 gph

Well it's the same price as the Koralia 1600 but it moves 600lph less..

So the lights I've chose are 7000k, is this enough for softies or should I pick up 2??

So the lights I've chose are 7000k, is this enough for softies or should I pick up 2??

I would recommend shooting for 10000k minimum. The yellow lights in the 7000k range give the corals an ugly coloration. A 10000k along with an actinic bulb are pretty base line for flourescent lights.

What light fixture did you pick and whats your budget? Are you looking at keeping only softies or do you want something that can hande stony corals down the line?

I would recommend shooting for 10000k minimum. The yellow lights in the 7000k range give the corals an ugly coloration. A 10000k along with an actinic bulb are pretty base line for flourescent lights.

What light fixture did you pick and whats your budget? Are you looking at keeping only softies or do you want something that can hande stony corals down the line?

I just went with the best value:
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1412255893.854657.jpg

I'm only planning on softies full stop.

I'd go for something more impressive but I've just seen these Fluval nano led things:
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1412256011.256666.jpg

25000k but they're £130!!

And they're terrible, not powerful enough for even shrooms. You got a link for the first one, I have my doubts on that unit as well.

Edit: neveind I found it, that first ones not going to grow anything (maybe plants, but I honestly doubt even that), look into quality reef lighting, it's usually one of the most expensive parts of set up but crucial

Neither of those lights arenones id recommend. The first wouldnt support softies at all.

Lights are expensive, which really sucks. However, for a 10g I would suggest a finnex ray 2 with the 10000k and actinic combo. It only comes in the 18" and 24" models so id go with the 24. It will give you some overhang, but itll allow you to grow anything at a reasonable price.

Neither of those lights arenones id recommend. The first wouldnt support softies at all.

Lights are expensive, which really sucks. However, for a 10g I would suggest a finnex ray 2 with the 10000k and actinic combo. It only comes in the 18" and 24" models so id go with the 24. It will give you some overhang, but itll allow you to grow anything at a reasonable price.

Okay, so that's £54 for the 24" which is reasonable enough but the tank is only 20".

I'm not understanding the 'overhang' thing, it looks like it just clips straight onto the rims.

Back
Top Bottom