Filtering a Nano?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CCXGT

Aquarium Advice Addict
I'm about to set up a 10G nano and will be using live sand but dry rock.

I'll be curing the dry rock in the tank itself as it cycles, and will be relying solely on natural filtration.

Until it builds up enough bacteria should I bother with any sort of clean-up crew?
If so, how long should I wait until the rock and sand is capable of supporting a bioload?
I do have a HoB which I could definitely use for a short amount of time but I really want no mechanical filtration whatsoever.

PS - I'm absolutely novice at saltwater so excuse me if I'm talking like an idiot.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

No mechanical filtration is probably not the way to go especially if you are a beginner. And if you want corals filters provide extra flow and that helps a lot. How come you don't want mechanical filtration?

No mechanical filtration is probably not the way to go especially if you are a beginner. And if you want corals filters provide extra flow and that helps a lot. How come you don't want mechanical filtration?

I've been repeatedly told that a tank can sustain itself with pure bio filtration.
Also I prefer the look of a HoBless tank.

I will be getting a pump and all the rest of it as well.

I've been repeatedly told that a tank can sustain itself with pure bio filtration.
Also I prefer the look of a HoBless tank.

I will be getting a pump and all the rest of it as well.

in a 10gal your going to need some sort of mechanical filtration or do relgious water changes and constently watch your levels

in a 10gal your going to need some sort of mechanical filtration or do relgious water changes and constently watch your levels

Right.. Well this is the HoB I was talking about:
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1412058257.135111.jpg

Is it sufficient? Or would I need something more for a reef?

So I've been doing some MAJOR research... I think I'd rather go filter less and maintain properly

Not using a filter would not be maintaining it properly.

The sheer amount out people running filter less reefs for decades... Are they all doing it wrong as well?

I realise that I'm new and I'll admit that I'm not 100% in what I'm doing but I will be very patient with it and obviously will be asking questions along the way

Not using a filter would not be maintaining it properly.

How do you figure? I ran my 20g filterless for over a year. After that tank got to 2 months old I never had a single positive nitrate reading. How is filterless not properly mainfaining it?

A filter does nothing but convert ammonia to nitrate. Running a filter on a tank will never negate the need for regular water changes. However, does the action of biological filtering and it removes nitrate.

How is a powerhead any worse than a hob filter?

I'm about to set up a 10G nano and will be using live sand but dry rock.

I'll be curing the dry rock in the tank itself as it cycles, and will be relying solely on natural filtration.

Until it builds up enough bacteria should I bother with any sort of clean-up crew?
If so, how long should I wait until the rock and sand is capable of supporting a bioload?
I do have a HoB which I could definitely use for a short amount of time but I really want no mechanical filtration whatsoever.

PS - I'm absolutely novice at saltwater so excuse me if I'm talking like an idiot.

On to your original question, skip the clean up crew. Then after your tank is cycled slowly add them to deal with any algae growth. As for how long to wait, it depends on how your cycle acts. Probably a month at minimum. You could go and gef a little chunk of cured live rock to speed up the process

Sent from my SM-G900P using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Id throw a hob on there just to run phosphate removing media. Or maybe a DIY fuge of sorts.

Well the HoB I WAS going to use came from my African hospital tank, I did treat Melafix through it once.
Could this effect anything in the saltwater stuff?

It could yeah. Idk if I'd use it then. I think you'd be fine without one just keep up on wcs and stock lightly.

It could yeah. Idk if I'd use it then. I think you'd be fine without one just keep up on wcs and stock lightly.

I've just done a quick search, turns out it says Reef Safe on the bottle ?

Nono...reef safe meds still really aren't reef safe. My friend used a reef safe med and it killed all his lps corals (torch, hammer, plates, acans). I wouldn't trust any meds in a reef tank

I never really understood peoples fear of using equipment rhats been exposed to medication in their reef tanks.

Reef safe or not, the miniscule amount of the medication the filter was exposed to combine that with plastic not absorbing it. Anything that could be leeched isnt enough to effect anything.

Its the same way with people saying you cant use a tank if its ever had copper meds in it. Theres absolutely no logical evidence to support that claim.

Nono...reef safe meds still really aren't reef safe. My friend used a reef safe med and it killed all his lps corals (torch, hammer, plates, acans). I wouldn't trust any meds in a reef tank

Surely after it being washed AND dry for as long as it has, it can't be that bad

Oh I was confused. I thought you were taking it off the African tank and moving it over after cleaning it. If it has been dry for a while that should probably be fine. Like mebbid said I'm probably over cautious haha.

I'd hate to leave it just sitting there gathering dust, might there be anything else a tiny HoB can be used for?

If I were to use it for general filtration, I think I'd just stick a sponge in it and clean that sponge regularly.
Or maybe pick up a bag of Purigen or something..

the hob can add flow, use poly filter material, run filter floss (changed regularly), be made into a DIY fuge or surface skimmer.

Back
Top Bottom