Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-19-2012, 04:34 PM   #21
Aquarium Advice Regular

Alright thanks. You used regular filter cartrages at the end? And just glass sheets to seperat the tank? My dt is a 30 gallon so I think I'm going to go with the 10 g for this. Any recomendations on skimmer type or size? I don't have one yet and iv seen so many diffrent kinds I'm not sure what I should get.

Old 05-19-2012, 04:43 PM   #22
Aquarium Advice Freak

I just got marine land rite size bonded filter pads you cut it to the size you want and its cheap it's blue and white and yes I used glass from a old glass top of a 10 gal fish tank u may be able to go to a hardware store and find something cheaper hard plastic anything like that will work and then get silicone from a fish store and on a skimmer note I don't know I'm not using one right now I don't know if it's really worth it I made room for one in case I do I have to do more research on them because they r really expensive and if I do get one I want a good one I hear many different things about many different ones

Old 05-20-2012, 04:40 PM   #23
Aquarium Advice Regular

Drilling the tank for the ovetflow and return, does it matter where the holes are in terms of top or bottom of tank?
Old 05-20-2012, 04:56 PM   #24
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yes, also depends on your overflow box. I would do some google searches with some pics to get an idea. Also you can youtube sumps/overflows and glass tank drilling as well. Should get alot of useful hits.
Old 05-20-2012, 05:53 PM   #25
Aquarium Advice Regular

A lot of people have told me that I shouldn't do a box. So I wad thinking about just running pipes from the bulkhead to the sump and do the overflow in that. I tried google but almost everything ov see has had boxes so I'm not really sure what to do.
Old 05-20-2012, 06:27 PM   #26
Aquarium Advice Addict

I would use overflow box. Not sure why someone would tell you different.
Old 05-20-2012, 06:32 PM   #27
Aquarium Advice Freak

Because some fish store when they drill holes the don't use them anymore fish store Here have them go straight to the sump or fuge
Old 05-20-2012, 10:04 PM   #28
Aquarium Advice Addict

Id order the parts and do it yourself. Much cheaper. You need an overflow
Old 05-20-2012, 10:27 PM   #29
Aquarium Advice Regular

Alright so the boxs hangs on thr back if the dt and the I run tubing to the sump right?
Old 05-20-2012, 11:05 PM   #30
Aquarium Advice Addict

No they do not hang. They are siliconed in place with aquarium grade silicone. A bulkhead inside the overflow with plumbing inside the overflow and plumbing down to the sump. Do some google searchs. Hang on the back overflows are the ones that have problems

Tags
filter, filters

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com