Filters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

solo

Aquarium Advice Activist
Any one using a good wet/dry filter I mentioned the ecosystem or a Berlin system good can't decide witch one to get I want to setup my saltwater tank once but right if any one out there has years of experience who can tell what's good to use I heard ecosystem used you will have less maintenance I'm lost on filters I bin a freshwater hobbyist for 15 years and I only use a canister filter have 350 gph from marineland 100 gallon capacity I heard for saltwater tanks it spike the nitrates sorry if I put to much out on the table I new to saltwater want to set it up right and have years of experience like I did with freshwater thanks

Wet/dry filters are said to be an old method of filtration, so there are newer, better ways. They can be nitrate factories if not cleaned often. I'd recommend a DIY sump/refugium. Not too hard to make, cheap, and you can make it any way you want. Paying possibly $300 for an acrylic 40 gallon sump is crazy. You can get a 40 gallon glass tank for $40-60 and buy polycarbonate (acrylic) sheets and aquarium safe silicon at a hardware store. It doesn't need to crystal clear or pretty like the pre-built models are b/c it will be hidden.

Thanks I look into it since I'm lost with filters ill talk with my LfS to see what he has so ill get a good setup done right

What about berlin system filtration

I scanned the article I gave you and it looks like the method everyone uses today except for the wet/dry system. This can be a nitrate factory since detritus like fish waste and excess food can get trapped and decay and eventually turn into nitrates unless maintained reguarly so that's why it's not recommended as much for reef systems. LR (although not needed), high flow, big skimmers (help, but aren't needed), high lighting (for corals), supplementation, etc.

Soeveryone today is using Berlin system and its ok for a coral reef I have a book from michael palletta see video of his tank on you tu e he uses Ecostystem www.Ecostystemaquarium.com mud method

Well miracle mud...you can live without it. People have gorgeous tanks and don't use it. Yes it says to have proven benefits and such, but you don't NEED it, in fact I haven't met a lot of people who use it. The sump that's on that first page has bioballs. I thought it was best to have them exposed to air and have water trickle down them hence the wet and DRY trickle system. Everyone has their methods each with it's own great results. The picture they showed of that tank using miracle mud or whatever..there are other factors. They probably have a calcium reactor with all that SPS or are dosing heavily. Maybe vodka dosing, who knows. It's not just going to be "oh let's put in some mud and poof things stabilize and coral growth explodes" if that makes sense.

What methods your using kind of sump I ask cause if I want to use tank one day back to freshwater hobby I lost my 35g hexagon tank leaked bad count fix it and one side glass chipped stand was falling apart wet so corner open compressed wood anyways so what method I should go Berlin or refugium system my book animal planet fals about Berlin system I don't want wet/dry got to clean often

What year was that book published? Wet/dry filters are okay, but again it is considered an old method of filtration and there are newer, better ways.

2009 from animal planet the Mari.e aquarium from michael palletta 2001 and salwater aquarium for dummies 2007

Nevermind. If it was from the 90s then it would probably be not the same methods as today.

So go Berlin what do u think what filtration system do you have

Berlin is good, but I would 100% go with a refudgium of some sort if you are going reef

Mr d thanks a refugium I planing on a reef tank and what you think of overflow box internal or external one but do you say can't decide in new to sw hobby I want to do great setup and right

Back
Top Bottom