Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 08-02-2006, 05:22 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie
filters and sumps

i'm the new guy at a really good LFS and i'm trying to learn as much as possible as quickly as possible, but it's a lot to take in. i set up my 55gal with 30 lbs LR, about 2" sand bed, continuous siphon overflow, wet-dry, skimmer. it's cycled, and i have 1 blue devil, 1 blue green chromis, and 2 silver mono's (?) everything's good... i've read alot on various websites, and it seems the majority of ppl here are against wet-dry set up. i don't know enough yet to say one way or the other, but it just seems that without some type of mechanical filtration you're gonna get a lot of waste buildup on your substrate? i guess i just want to hear some more facts about filtration. and another thing.... what's everybody's opinion on using a rubber-made tub for a sump? i was considering it, but all the LFS's i went to advised against it. my common sense says it would do just as well as a $150 acrylic sump but what's the opinios out there?

birdiemc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 07:29 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award
I'm not sure about the rubber-made deal. I just bought cheap all glass tanks and added baffles to them and used them as sumps/fuges. So far they are working just fine and I have maybe $55 in the both of them. (one 10gal and one 20gal tall) HTH

Ziggy953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 07:55 PM   #3
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award
The rubber maid tub is just as good. The LFS want to sell you something. It will make a good sump and give you added water volume. I am a firm believer thast LR ( 1.5 -2 LBS per gallon) and a skimmer is all that is needed. For about 6 yrs that is all I had. I now have the same but a refugium now
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote

filter, filters, sump

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com