Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-01-2004, 09:46 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Filters/Filter media, Protein skimmers

Im starting a new tank and plan on using a canister filter. Which canister filters do you suggest, and what type of media.

What type and company of protein skimmer do you suggest.

P.S it will be a 55 gallon tank, preferably reef w/invertebrates.
P.P.S preferably it collectively should be less than $700 for filter and skimmer.

Old 09-01-2004, 10:28 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'd skip a filter...use the money towards ample amounts of live rock...60-100lbs is ideal.

Do you have a sump? sump skimmers are more efficient, but there are good hang on models like the Aqua C. Remora's, and CPR Bak-Pak's.

Old 09-01-2004, 10:28 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

You would only need a canister to run GAC. Most folks rely on LR and LS for their biological filtration. Instead spend your money on a great skimmer. The Aqua C Remora seems to get the highest rating. I have a CPR Bakpak which does a pretty good job.
46g SW, 65 lbs Fiji LR, 4" Aragamax DSB, Coralife 2X96w CF, CPR Bakpak II, CPR Aquafuge 12 w/ 2x9 Coralife Mini Aqualight, 4 Maxijet 600's, PCI 200W Titanium Heater, 2 Blue Green Chromis, 1 Gold Bar Maroon Clown, 1 Purple-Stripe Dottyback, Finger Leather, Trumpets, Rose Coral Open-Brain, Pagoda Cup, Xenia, Star Polyps, Yellow Polyps, Various Mushrooms, Toadstool Leather, 12 Astraea, 10 Nassarius, 4 Bumble Bee, 6 Cerith Snails, 12 Red Tip Hermits.
phases99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2004, 03:21 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Thank you alot. I still thik i would need some type of chemical filtration any suggestions?
Old 09-02-2004, 03:41 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

I believe you can put carbon in the optional attachment for the Remora.. someone correct me if I'm mistaken.

Click HERE to vote for Aquarium Advice!
Atari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2004, 05:06 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Awsome! Thanks again.
Old 09-05-2004, 01:11 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I have 2 Fluval 404s and both of them suck air/spit micro bubbles. I also have 3 CPR BackPacks that I really like. HTH ---john
Old 09-12-2004, 01:09 PM   #8

Good morning all. Just joined the site today after lurking for a while. Hope you don't mind me piggy backing on seafan's topic but I'm starting out as well and really confused on this filtration thing. I am setting up a 135 gal FO tank and currenty have 1 Fluval 404. Was going to get another one today and some LR. The local store tells me that I need at least 2 Fluval 404 and between 70 and 100 lbs of LR. Am I reading here correctly that if I get the LR I don't need the second Fluval? I've just started the cycling process.

Thanks for any replies.
120 Lbs LR
Livestock: 1 Yellow Tang, 1 Foxface Rabbitfish, 3 Blue Damsels, and 2 Aenonome's.
Interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2004, 01:54 PM   #9
steve-s

Welcome to AA.com

You actually don't really need either Fulval or any other canister for that matter. The LR is definately a plus and the more the better. Since you are starting the tank as primarily FO (now an FOWLR), you most likely have standard lights? If that's the case I would not spend alot of money on LR. Instead, dry base rock that is not in need of any kind of proper lighting would be a much cheaper route. Starting the tank off with dry base rock and the "seeding" it with a few small pieces of LR would be much less costly and accomplish the same filtration goals as all LR would. On a 135 though, I would move your intended amount a bit closer to 150-200 lbs. Check E-bay or >>Hirocks.com<<

Be sure that if you are not going to be using a sump with a strong return for water flow, you spend some money of a few good powerheads for proper circulation. On a 135 gal tank your total GPH should be about 1400 at the low end.

Cheers
Steve
Old 09-12-2004, 02:14 PM   #10

Thanks a bunch. Not having to get a second canister leaves more money for rocks and powerheads.

120 Lbs LR
Livestock: 1 Yellow Tang, 1 Foxface Rabbitfish, 3 Blue Damsels, and 2 Aenonome's.
Interested is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
filter, filter media, filters, media, protein, skimmer

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com