Filters/Filter media, Protein skimmers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

seafan

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Im starting a new tank and plan on using a canister filter. Which canister filters do you suggest, and what type of media.

What type and company of protein skimmer do you suggest.

P.S it will be a 55 gallon tank, preferably reef w/invertebrates.
P.P.S preferably it collectively should be less than $700 for filter and skimmer.

I'd skip a filter...use the money towards ample amounts of live rock...60-100lbs is ideal.

Do you have a sump? sump skimmers are more efficient, but there are good hang on models like the Aqua C. Remora's, and CPR Bak-Pak's.

You would only need a canister to run GAC. Most folks rely on LR and LS for their biological filtration. Instead spend your money on a great skimmer. The Aqua C Remora seems to get the highest rating. I have a CPR Bakpak which does a pretty good job.

Thank you alot. I still thik i would need some type of chemical filtration any suggestions?

I believe you can put carbon in the optional attachment for the Remora.. someone correct me if I'm mistaken.

I have 2 Fluval 404s and both of them suck air/spit micro bubbles. I also have 3 CPR BackPacks that I really like. HTH ---john

Good morning all. Just joined the site today after lurking for a while. Hope you don't mind me piggy backing on seafan's topic but I'm starting out as well and really confused on this filtration thing. I am setting up a 135 gal FO tank and currenty have 1 Fluval 404. Was going to get another one today and some LR. The local store tells me that I need at least 2 Fluval 404 and between 70 and 100 lbs of LR. Am I reading here correctly that if I get the LR I don't need the second Fluval? I've just started the cycling process.

Thanks for any replies.

Welcome to AA.com :)

You actually don't really need either Fulval or any other canister for that matter. The LR is definately a plus and the more the better. Since you are starting the tank as primarily FO (now an FOWLR), you most likely have standard lights? If that's the case I would not spend alot of money on LR. Instead, dry base rock that is not in need of any kind of proper lighting would be a much cheaper route. Starting the tank off with dry base rock and the "seeding" it with a few small pieces of LR would be much less costly and accomplish the same filtration goals as all LR would. On a 135 though, I would move your intended amount a bit closer to 150-200 lbs. Check E-bay or >>Hirocks.com<<

Be sure that if you are not going to be using a sump with a strong return for water flow, you spend some money of a few good powerheads for proper circulation. On a 135 gal tank your total GPH should be about 1400 at the low end.

Cheers
Steve

Thanks a bunch. Not having to get a second canister leaves more money for rocks and powerheads.

Back
Top Bottom