Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-19-2011, 04:23 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

filtration

hi in my juwel rio125 i have the standard bibflow 6.0 filter system not reslly good for marines i dont think.. iv added the green nitrate removal sponge but iv heard that some people remover all sponges and add there own media so i w\s wondering if i should remove my standard media and what i should add..

Old 12-19-2011, 04:28 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

I have a hang on filter, but there is nothing in it other than rowaphos constantly and carbon 1 week per month.

Don't run any floss of sponge at all, my skimmer deals with all the chunks etc.

Old 12-19-2011, 05:47 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

so would you sugest i remove all the sponge media i have in now then.
Old 12-19-2011, 09:53 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Use small pieces of live rock for more beneficial biological fitration. Get rid of the sponges and bioballs!
Old 12-19-2011, 10:14 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

so get rid of all sponges and put a bit of rock in the chamber.. but does it make a difference if the rock is in the filter or in the tank
Old 12-19-2011, 10:47 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Actually, I run the sponges and filter floss in my tanks. It gets rid of the particulate matter that will float around your tank. In saltwater the live rock is about 80% of the bio filtrations adn the filter is pretty much only for catching large particles and for running chemical media like GFO or carbon.
Old 12-19-2011, 11:29 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by carey
Actually, I run the sponges and filter floss in my tanks. It gets rid of the particulate matter that will float around your tank. In saltwater the live rock is about 80% of the bio filtrations adn the filter is pretty much only for catching large particles and for running chemical media like GFO or carbon.
Yes, that is true to an extent. Floss and sponge will remove detritus etc. however, without proper and prompt removal and cleaning of this media, nitrates and phosphates levels quickly mount up. If anything, use a filter sock and replace every few days. This is a lot more convenient and easier to do, in my opinion.
Old 12-19-2011, 12:18 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

arghhh iam still no closer to my answer then lol.... still as confussed as before
Old 12-19-2011, 03:11 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

I never advise anything, I only state what works for me.

I don't want floss and sponge harbouring crap releasing nasties into my water.

The view I've always had is that media like that belongs on a freshwater tank only.

It's just opinion though, the same as I'd never put sand in my tank, BB and huge flow all the way as far as I'm concerned, then huge amounts of crud don't get chance to build up in the first place.
Old 12-19-2011, 03:26 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

bb whats that mate and if you dont use sand what substrate do you have. if i have huge flow wont it be to much for corals and fish to swim against.. so you would remove all the filtermedia and replace if with what if anything..

Tags
filtration

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com