filtration

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bre's dad

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Over the next few months, we are going to be setting up a new tank, 125-150 gal community. Its been several years since I've really been in the hobby & I know things change. I am looking for advice on a good biological filter. I've never been a big fan of wet/dry filters. My current community tank is ran off of a sand filter. I know many hate these for various reasons. I've had good luck with them, in relation to relativly low nitrates (given the type of fish I keep, triggers, lions, tangs.)

What would be recommended? Building something is not a problem, given that over half of the equipment I have is home made. Several hundred pounds of live rock isn't an option for budget reasons.

You could always go "filterless" with a ton of live rock and a good skimmer. you can rely on the sponge-covered intakes on yor skimmer and power heads to capture large garbage. You can rely on a good clean-up crew for the rest. Using a live sand base with 1.5-2 punds live rock or more you should have enough bio-filtration. Down side...i would cycle the tank for at least three months. good luck..Lando

Back
Top Bottom