Filtration

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jolee0722

Aquarium Advice Freak
I am trying to figure out filtration for a reef tank around 60 gallons including the sump and 45 without. Would this filtration be overkill:
4" filter sock
Chemipure elite in mesh bag
Purigen in mesh bag
2 innovative marine mid size media reactors with gfo and carbon
Cadlight pipe less skimmer 100 rated for 60 gallon with heavy bioload

I am trying to figure out filtration for a reef tank around 60 gallons including the sump and 45 without. Would this filtration be overkill: 4" filter sock Chemipure elite in mesh bag Purigen in mesh bag 2 innovative marine mid size media reactors with gfo and carbon Cadlight pipe less skimmer 100 rated for 60 gallon with heavy bioload

The skimmer seams a little small .
You will be working the skimmer at its maximum capacity all the time .
IMO you might want to get a bigger skimmer ,
It's better to go bigger so if it's not skimming at Max it will be enough .

No the skimmer is rated for 140 for a light bioload. It iw rated for 100 galline.

No the skimmer is rated for 140 for a light bioload. It is rated for 100 gallons.

Sorry I wrote that for a heavy bioload it is rated for 60 gallons. Besides that do you think it is too much and what do you think I dont need.

It does seem like kind of a lot but if you are going sps dominant it will help a lot. Just remember that those medias need to be changed occaisionally so that will add to your maintenance routine. I am a big advocate for maximizing water volume so the sump is a big plus, a great skimmer, diligent water changes, macro algae and maybe some gfo.

I currently have a small sump (20) and a crappy skimmer (coralife) and I have 0 nitrates and .10 phosphates. I am going to converts the sump to a 40b and get a reef octopus skimmer.

What are your plans for these tanks?

I am trying to figure out filtration for a reef tank around 60 gallons including the sump and 45 without. Would this filtration be overkill:
4" filter sock
Chemipure elite in mesh bag
Purigen in mesh bag
2 innovative marine mid size media reactors with gfo and carbon
Cadlight pipe less skimmer 100 rated for 60 gallon with heavy bioload

You'll be ok just dont over stock Keep a journal Test your water often Testing will let you know how the tank is doing If your getting high nitrAtes all the time the filters are not keeping up and you'll need to change things.

I was thinking of starting out with just bioloyical filtration and a filter sock, purigen, and chemipure elite and when I switch to a reef tank after I get my cuc and all my fish, I will add the media reactors and the protein skimmer.

Back
Top Bottom