Filtration during cycle?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NightHawk-33

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have read that is it best not to run a skimmer during the cycleing period. however my filtration will consist of.live rock and a skimmer. So during the cycle do i run any addtional filtration or just let the live rock and sand take care of it?

NightHawk-33 said:
I have read that is it best not to run a skimmer during the cycleing period. however my filtration will consist of.live rock and a skimmer. So during the cycle do i run any addtional filtration or just let the live rock and sand take care of it?

Personally i do run skimmer im cycling a 250g right now skimmer keeps oxygen levels up i also am running fugi as well almost no nitrates

Your rock and sand will take care of it while cycling. When it comes to the skimmer, it takes several weeks for it to "tune in" and work correctly. It isn't necessary to tune it in during the cycle, as it can go wonky and possibly overflow the cup quickly. This would be bad if you are running a HOB skimmer. I would just cycle the tank and then hook the skimmer up and let it tune in while you slowly begin adding livestock upon completion of the cycle.

While cycling, the only things that matter are ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates. Anything else just complicates things and I am a firm believer in the KISS effect.

+1 on no skimmer. Why would you want to remove the very things that turn into ammonia (proteins) during the cycle?

Ingy said:
+1 on no skimmer. Why would you want to remove the very things that turn into ammonia (proteins) during the cycle?

Once youve acheived ammonia the cycle begins theres no reason to keep adding ammonia i just cycled 250g with skimmer and fuge took about 4 1/2 weeks at the end of cycle nitrates barely read at 5 thanks to my fugi i dont have to make water changes every week to bring it down btw i didn start skimmer until ammonia was present i cycle a 55 this excact way and added sps within 6 weeks and all is doin good this workes for me everyone does it different this is only my opinion and how i personally have had success

Back
Top Bottom