Filtration for a 55 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cmexlr8

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 55 gallon saltwater tank with a 4 inch dsb i dont have any liverock yet i have the following filters and i wasnt sure if it was enough

2 zoomed powersweep powerheads opposite sides about mid tank 1 aquaclear 500, 1 aquaclear 300, and a magnum 350 canister hooked up to a 1/4 pvc spray that runs the length of the tank to promote surface agitaton i have a berlin 60 protein skimmer. I have been getting some green algae in 1 part of tank but nowhere else is it because of lack of water movement? I have 2 damsels 1 perc clown 1 arc eye hawkfish a yellow tang and a coral catfish. tank has been up about a month but the sand is all form established reef tanks . Any help would be great.

It sounds like you've got all the flow you need, so that's probably not the problem. So as rossv said, other info is needed, including your lighting. BTW, run and hide b4 the tang police get here :)

I would be willing to bet with the dsb of already established sand you will not even see a cycle adding some lr would be advisable and if your no3 no3 and such were really out of whack the hawkfish would be dead by now but still a good idea to test and water changes are a must as well

Whats this about the tang police? Lighting is 2 vita light supreme. a powerglo bulb and 1 marine glo bulb. I do a daily water cahnge of 1 gallon except on sat and sun. Those are the days i mix my saltwater for use during the week. My levels are all good my temp is 78-80f my salinity is 1.022> lights are on a 12hr timer 0900-2100 hrs everyday. I am getting ready to order 80 lbs worth of live rock from liverocks.com but i am going to build a 25 gallon acrylic sump before i get the rock. I am reading up to figure out what size return pump to use and the media. I was thinking id use some aquaclear 500 foam 2 blocks, some activated carbon in a filter bag, some de earth in a bag for polishing, and some bioballs directly under water return so they would be getting constantly wet. I was also going to try to grow some mangorve in the swamp. Any ideas would be great.

Back
Top Bottom