Filtration for FOWLR 75 gal?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

parkersmomma2

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I was wondering about the best way to go about filtration in a FOWLR 75 (possibly 100) gallon tank. It doesn't have any pre-drilled holes for a sump.
I'm trying to do this the most money effective way possible. Do you guys think that with 150 lbs of LR and 100 Lbs of LS in the tank, plus an over hang refugium like this , and a power filter like the ones that normally come with tanks would be sufficient? Maybe a protein skimmer?

If that sounds like it would be sufficient, what would be a good power filter and protein skimmer?

Thanks so much in advance :)

Drill the holes or have a lfs do it (If they have that service)

Patrick93 said:
Drill the holes or have a lfs do it (If they have that service)

+1 drilling the tank is one of the best decisions you can make for a reef setup. Plus those holes will greatly increase resale value seriously lol. As for filtration a HOB and skimmer would work. A canister I would reccomend more if your willing to do weekly cleaning on it. The filter media I would replace with LR which speaking of that 150lbs will look packed so if you want a fowlr then you'll want swimming room. Imo id aim for about 70-100 lbs. Do you have any idea on stocking. Predator or peaceful? Possible reef in the future?

Go to glass-holes.com you can order a kit to help you drill the tank. We did ours yesterday! we got the1500 kit for 75 gallon

Hob the emperor penguin 400 price is around $40 on dr foster and smith. com. I would recommend two if drilling is out of the question.

I have a 75g and a 55g went fowlr and did not drill them just went with the fluval fx5 and emp 400 on the 75, and a 500+gph canister and a emp 400 on the 55 and i wish still I drilled them for sure! now in the process of doing a 55 to move everything to that while I drill and set up the sump to run all 3, if you havent started yet now is the time you will wish you did within a few imo

i agree if it's possible to drill now you wont regret it. All my tanks are drilled now except for my 125g reef tank which irks me every single day that i didnt do it when i had the chance. lol

As far as filtration for a fowlr I currently have a 90g ine up and running a small 20g sump with it. You can get an overflow to use a sump below if it's not drilled and would be the second best option besides drilling and running a sump. The third option is to run all hang on back equipment and/or a canister. You can get pretty decent skimmers that hang on the back from reef octopus and the canister could be up to you. Just will have to pay close attention to maintaining it or it could cause issues down the road.

Back
Top Bottom