Filtration help?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Johnny94

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
i have a 180L salt water aquarium(my small tank), and was just wondering i have a spare external canister filter, is there any filter media i could use to just help the water out without adding nitrates/nitrites or messing anything up in it? I've read up and a lot of people say there is ways you can and it is good and others suggest not too just don't want to waste the filter even if its used as a power head? any help is appreciate thanks.

(((i have sump, skimmer, sand bed live rock everything as normal)))

The sump is just a part time thing it's not my actual sump I lent it thats why I'm wondering if a canister can be used untill I have the money for a new sump set up

The sump won't be for a while need the money I got for renovations, and my friend wants the sump back so I need some kind of filtration while I have no sump, that's why I was thinking the canister maybe sponge n live rock in it or something just to help maintain for the time it won't have a sump

If you have plenty of rock and flow and I see you have a skimmer you don't really need a mechanical filter. I run a system without mechanical filtration and just make sure I keep up with my weekly water changes. Is the tank a new set up? How much rock do you have in there?

The tank has been running for months it's not to new, I have about 7-8kg worth of rock and a thick 4 inch live sand bed, it has plenty of flow over the rock n corals

Hmm, you may need the canister after all. A hob filter would be better if you can get your hands on one. Not nearly enough live rock I think to provide your only filtration...

That's whats I was thinking I just don't know what media to use cause I'm a little right with money and don't want to kill off everything in the tank, so what do you think any suggestions on media ?

Sorry, can't help you there. Like I said I don't use mechanical filtration at all. Hopefully someone can give you some good advice!

You really need at least 25kg (55lbs) of "Live Rock" to run a Berlin reef system (no mechanical filtration) for a 50 gallon tank!
I do it with my 150 gallon but I have over 450lbs of live rock and my water is crystal clear!!

You may be able to use your canister as a sand bed reactor if which would help. Just some DIY involved!

i'd love to have more live rock but as i mentioned earlier in this post money is a tight subject at the moment, i'm basically trying to see if i can replace my sump with the canister just to maintain everything until i can get myself a new sump.

I don't think you have enough rock either. roughly 15-20 pounds of rock in a nearly 50 gallon tank isn't much. At least a pound per gallon is ideal. You could use the canister filter and keep some sponge and carbon in it, but you'll have to thoroughly clean it about weekly.

Back
Top Bottom