Filtration Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ayesha97

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm just starting a 20g tank (its technically been up since Feb). One of my coworkers has given me quite a few leftovers from his old 80g tank that he recently took down. Included in this mess of equipment is a broken sump complete with LOTS and lots of bio balls. (I could be wrong in the terminology but I'm pretty sure its a sump. Must have been nice when new, but now its cracked on multiple sides! There is a U shaped pipe and the pumps work just fine.) How can I incorporate this into my system? I have already been told that my set-up could use some help. I currently have a HOB Whisper filter, an UGF hooked up to a powerhead with reverse flow, in addition to 10 lbs. of live rock and a crushed coral base.

My tank has successfully cycled and is just housing hermits, snails and an emerald crab. I'm not really asking for much of my tank. I would like to have a pair of clownfish (I'd even settle for one), and later if I get ambitious (and have extra money around and NOT kill it) I'd like to try for an anemone.

Any suggestions, comments or concerns are greatly appreciated! I'm getting my refund soon, so I dont' mind if some of that is put to use in my tank. :wink:

Well...I have a few suggestions.

1. Ditch the UGF. Thats old school tech that is very much out of date. If you have nothing other than LS, LR, and a skimmer you can run a tank. Its called a Berlin system. Using a UGF is the equivalent of using a CB instead of a cell phone. It might work, but not very well.

2. Hook up the sump via a over flow box. Dont use the bio balls...they are notorious for trapping nitrates. Use it as a place to put your heater and skimmer as well as top off water.

3. anemones....they require high light. They are definitely not for the rookie. My advise.....dont :wink:

Anything else?

The heater and skimmer can be stored in the sump and it will still keep my main tank warm and skim free? I read the article about sumps but am still a bit confused about the details. Would I be able to use a plastic bin to hold the water and then use all of the equipment from the handme down sump (since its cracked)? What size would you suggest?

Any suggestions on a decent skimmer for a 20 gal?

I'm in no hurry for an anemone... just dreaming outloud and trying to plan for the future.

You can use anything that reliably holds water for your sump, a 10 or 15 gallon aquarium or even a rubbermaid tub. The heater/s and skimmer will work fine in the sump, after all its the same water as the main tank. I would look into some LR for your tank, it can be expensive but in the long run it is better biofiltration, less maintenance and more natural and attractive. Check out liverocks.com to get an idea of price. For your tank you could use 30-35lbs. The LR along with a couple of powerheads for good flow and a skimmer would be great filtration (its what I use on my 20 gal. :wink: ) As far as skimmers, there are several out there, I use a Red Sea Prizm and can't complain but most people hate them.

I'm pretty sure the sump is acrylic. The cracks run all along the bottom edge and up one of the corners, and a small crack on one of the sides. Where can you get Weld On #3? Do you think it would be worth repairing? I can take a picture of it later to show you the extent of the damage.

Back
Top Bottom