FINAL List of Equipment

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CCXGT

Aquarium Advice Addict
So, after MUCH research and planning I've decided to run a set of specific things.
Firstly, a list of equipment:

Tank - 10G, already got (actually 9.3G but whatever)

Heater - 200w, already got (I know it's excessive but I'm not using it for anything else)

HoB - Marina S10, for chemical filtration (my first ever filter, picked up a new pump for it)

Wave Maker - Hydor Koralia 900l/h, 240g/h equivalent (highly recommended by you guys here)

Lighting - Quadspec Tile + Dimmer (again, I've been told to go over the top to prepare for future growing)

Filtration:

Protein Skimmer - Hydor SlimSkim Nano (wasn't recommended but I've heard great things about it)

Chemical - Chemi Pure Elite 6oz (to run in the HoB)

Water Testing:

Refractometer - General Refractometer from Amazon (been told to skip the hydrometer and get straight to the point)

Liquid Testing - API Master Test Kit (Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate, PH) + Salifert (KH/Alkalinity)

Sand'n'Stuff:

CaribSea - Arag-alive Fiji Pink Live sand (couldn't decide between this and the Bahamas but I'm with Fiji for now)

Rock - 6kg Pukani Dry Rock (BRS has absolutely sold this stuff to me) + bit of Live Rock (LFS has tons of the stuff, all covered with Coraline Algae as well)

Water:

Saltwater - I'll be buying pre-mixed from 1 LFS to start and moving to another later on.

RO - I'll be sure to keep at least 5G of RO around for top off.

Pump - 240l/h, 60g/h (not powerful but will suit my pumping needs) + 5m tubing

Right, that was a mouthful... Anyone manage to stick through it?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

In small tanks under 30, you can skip on the skimmer and simply do larger than average water changes if you want to get parameters back in range.
You can also skip the alk test. No real need for it right away.

In small tanks under 30, you can skip on the skimmer and simply do larger than average water changes if you want to get parameters back in range.
You can also skip the alk test. No real need for it right away.

I'm really looking for the least input by myself with this setup.
I'm hoping for a water change every 10-14 days with this.

Oh and the KH was more for my Africans, I've never tested for it before and was curious.

A properly tuned in skimmer cup will need changes pretty frequently, there have been times where I've done it daily and others where I've had it every other day...doing a water change is easier some times in terms of time invested.

What is the targeted stocking? I would say that for a reef only (or very close to it), it looks like a good plan to start. I would personally not do a SW tank less than a 20 though.

A properly tuned in skimmer cup will need changes pretty frequently, there have been times where I've done it daily and others where I've had it every other day...doing a water change is easier some times in terms of time invested.

I'm still not entirely clued up on skimmers.. I was under the impression that to clean one you must only empty out the cup?

What is the targeted stocking? I would say that for a reef only (or very close to it), it looks like a good plan to start. I would personally not do a SW tank less than a 20 though.

A pair of clowns and a shrimp.
I already had the 10G and don't want to waste it.

To empty it you simply dump the cup. Cleaning one is a different story. But the cup can fill up daily, depending on the proteins it is pulling out of the water column.

To empty it you simply dump the cup. Cleaning one is a different story. But the cup can fill up daily, depending on the proteins it is pulling out of the water column.

Well I doubt I'll be able to get one right away, possibly Christmas would be the earliest.

Got a lot of time till then to research some more.

Well it will be pulling a ton if you plan on putting 2 clowns in a 10...they get too big for a 10 and should be in a 20 or larger.

The sheer amount of Nano's I've seen with a pair of Clowns in them...
I keep getting told 'it can't be done' yet the 20million people already doing it seem to be fine.

It's like putting goldfish in a bowl. It's done over and over, but I wouldn't recommend it.

Except these particular goldfish will be cared for and nurtured.
If it's imperative that I don't keep two, I'll stick to one and pick up a Goby or two.

I was under the impression that recommended tank sizes were for the well being of the creature in question, and putting them in cramped quarters, was anything but looking out for their best interest.
Please explain to me how you will "nurture" these fish.

I was under the impression that recommended tank sizes were for the well being of the creature in question, and putting them in cramped quarters, was anything but looking out for their best interest.
Please explain to me how you will "nurture" these fish.

And I was under the impression that a minimum tank size for a Perc was 10G...

And, no.

You're impression is wrong.
Percs are recommended 30+
Occelaris at 20.
Bigger breeds can be 30-55+

These are all your opinion.
I've seen many successful tanks, some smaller than mine, with at least 1 clown in them.

Haha, all I've said is that your opinion is not gospel and you're biting my head off...

I'll just pop off now since I couldn't give a rats arse about this type of confrontation.

Back
Top Bottom