finalizing questions for the set up

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hc8719

Aquarium Advice Addict
ok, i got a used 20 gal and stand, (for $35 if anyone cares). and i might get launched this thing in the next month or so, just some last minute questions

1. about cycling a new tank with LR, im not about to dive into $100 dollars of LR for 20 lbs. how much LR should i use when wanting to cycle a tank, obviously the more the faster, but i dont want to put 5lbs in and have it take so long, that i loose all the little critters, but not so much that im dishing out my bank account. i plan on getting some base rock to compensate for the rest of the LR poundage

2. how long does this method tank (i know it varies, but approx.)

3. i'd like to get a watchman goby, an o clown, or a tomato clown (maybe both) but i hear varying stories whether the like other clowns.

4. what about tank tops? i hear to leave them exposed, (i guess for water evap purposes), but then i hear to cover them because watchman gobys are escape artist (but then again, they told me my dragon goby would try to escape), what do you do?

5. water turn over rate, i hear to have it be 7-8 times an hour, my penguin 330 sounds right for that?

6. another LR question. ok im suppose to make sure no LR sits on top of the sand because it causes bacteria or something?

7. how do you clean up fish waste? using a gravel vac would seem like it would suck up the sand

i really appreciate you guys answering my threads over the last several months. thanks again

You should get as much rock as you are going to be using. Adding rock later is a risky project as unless you are paying 7.00 a pound for cured rock and are close to your store, you will have die off and a mini cycle.

Turnover rate should be 10 times, IMO. The problem with allowing a HOB filter to do it is the flow will still be limited.

Eggcrate is the best method for covering a tank, once again IMO. It allows for gas exchange and keeps jumpers in the tank.

Liverock sits on the sand, on the glass, wherever you decide to put it.

Clean up crews, water changes and small airline tubing siphonings are used for cleaning.

1. about cycling a new tank with LR, im not about to dive into $100 dollars of LR for 20 lbs. how much LR should i use when wanting to cycle a tank, obviously the more the faster, but i dont want to put 5lbs in and have it take so long, that i loose all the little critters, but not so much that im dishing out my bank account. i plan on getting some base rock to compensate for the rest of the LR poundage
For biological filtration purposes, 30-40lbs of LR is a good end number to shoot for. Using LR is a good way to cycle a tank, and you are right, the more the better. There are some online sites that have pretty good deals on LR. This is ideal for new tanks because you can cure your LR and cycle your tank at the same time. A normal cycle does take 4-6 weeks to complete.
i'd like to get a watchman goby, an o clown, or a tomato clown (maybe both) but i hear varying stories whether the like other clowns.
Mixing clown species is not a very good idea, especially in a tank of this size. You can get by with a mated pair of percs or ocellaris clowns but I would not keep more then one type.
what about tank tops? i hear to leave them exposed, (i guess for water evap purposes), but then i hear to cover them because watchman gobys are escape artist (but then again, they told me my dragon goby would try to escape), what do you do?
Most shrimp gobies stay at the bottom of the tank. I have had one in my tank for about three years with no top and it has not tried to escape. Going topless allows for better gas exchange and will help control Ph a bit better.
water turn over rate, i hear to have it be 7-8 times an hour, my penguin 330 sounds right for that?
You will want to add one or two powerheads as well, look for 15-20x turnover in an hour.
another LR question. ok im suppose to make sure no LR sits on top of the sand because it causes bacteria or something?
Hmmm...not sure what you mean. You can go ahead and place your LR on your sand and just push it into the sand a bit. It really has nothing to do with bacteria.
how do you clean up fish waste? using a gravel vac would seem like it would suck up the sand
Easy...you don't. A properly stocked, fed and maintained tank is a balanced ecosystem. With enough biological filtration (i.e. LR) and the proper stocking level and feeding schedule and the proper clean-up crew (stars, crabs, snails, shrimp) the work is done for you. If you go with LS as a substrate (my preference) you will not need to vac it.
good luck in the stat up.

ok, ive been hearing tomato clowns are a bit aggressive, so im thinking about sticking with o clowns.

hara what exactly do you mean by egg crate, i know this may sound a little stupid, but do you mean the stuff you put on top of your bed mattress?

i suppose i could work the LR thing out, how much does a normal sized chunk of LR weigh, 3-5 lbs?

while i know LR takes up like half a tank, how much room can i expect to be left over with 30-40lbs?

Egg crate is light diffusing pannel found at your local home depot , lowes ect about 15 bucks for a 3X5 sheet

Back
Top Bottom