Finally building fuge/sump check out my plans :)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jamal-188

Aquarium Advice Addict
Here is my rough design, please let me know what you think or how I can improve my design by adding/removing baffles etc.... I will be growing some macro algae in the middle sand part eventually and would like to increase my pod population with this as well. I believe my S.O.S skimmer box flows about 600gph so that's what will be running through here.

*edit* sorry for the doulbe pic :roll:

oh yeah, what does everyone use to make baffles? I was thinking of trying to get some acrylic pieces at home depot but I think they may be too small and I"m assuming somehow I'll use plastic epoxy to install them?

I think I may have a problem with the baffles. Since this container is plastic somebody mentioned that it will bulge, how can I make baffles stay put? How bad would this be without baffles, I mean would it really create that many bubbles being that the container is over 3 feet long?

I would try to use a old tank if you can find one cheap you an silicone acrylic to tha glass.

Good luck Dewey

if you're using a plastic bin (like a rubbermaid bin) you could build a simple wooden crate to set it in to keep the sides from bulging. But I think you're better bet is as Dewey suggested and see if you can find a cheap used tank.

oooooooooooooh another thing i kind of like to watch the life forms in the fuge,Pods etc. Its kind if interesting.

Dewey

I don't think I could fit a very larger tank under my stand. I would try to find a used 50g but my main tank is 110g but it's 48X18X31, so the inside dimensions of my stand are only 48.5x18.5 but the door opening is only 19.5 tall so a 50g would not fit :( I don't know what to do. I might just put the rubbermaid tub in without baffles.

BTW, the rubbermaid tub is 42 long and the bottom is 17.5 with the top being a little wider so it has to be squeezed to fit under the tank. The wooden crate idea would work great however the tub barely fits. I don't think the sides would flex once it's under the tank, however I do belive it'd have to install the baffles after I squeeze it in there. This is too difficult to figure out :roll:

I think it would be okay without baffles as long as water is'nt splashing anywhere. If I make sure the drain from the skimmer and overflow run over a sponge or something and the water doesn't drop a few inches into the sump creating bubbles I think I'll be ok. Anybody think that makes sense? I guess I could also add a sponger to the intake of my return pipe hoping that might help as well?

The rubbermaid is going to bulge like a mofo, and baffles will not work in it.

A 40 long might fit, but a 30 long definately would.

A 3/4" plywood box and a gallon of pool paint would fix you up, too.

IMO I would get a custom built Acrylic to fit perfectly under your stand..

The rubbermaid is going to bulge like a mofo
This is very true about 1+" each direction

I had simular problems making my sump but fortunatly it was a redone setup and the tank was empty. I dissassembled the stand to get my sump in. Bur don't fret just yet. You can simply put a 10G inside the rubbermaid centered. It will work as your baffles and slow the flow through it for enough lag time for the fuge. or even 2 if you can get them to fit.

R-

Back
Top Bottom