Finally, Damped 45 shallow reef build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Alright thank you! I think I'm picking up the tank today! Yay!

Ahaha well I'm not getting the tank today. They had none in stock. Will be getting it in 10 days!

Yeah exactly. I'm trying to find a way to mount my taotronic unit. I don't want a canopy, drilling into walls and ceiling is out of the question. I can buy a lighting bracket, aquastyle.com has one for $42+$30 shipping:(

Id go with a canopy those lights are bright you'll want something to block it from the sides Leave the top open and mount the light on the cross brace

I really like the look of open top that's why. How far up do you think I should have the lights to get good coverage of the entire tank? I'd like to have sps and lps in the middle

I'd start about 30 in. above you can always lower them I get a good 3ft spread on the sandbed with mine at 32 in. above. Tank is 24in high and lights are 8in. above water surface.

I might have to get 2 fixtures. I think later on I'll buy another taotronic.

Or maybe I'll be able to get 2 par 38 bulbs and have them pointed where there's less light? Any suggestions? I like the spectrum I can get out of the par38 bulbs

Yeah exactly. I'm trying to find a way to mount my taotronic unit. I don't want a canopy, drilling into walls and ceiling is out of the question. I can buy a lighting bracket, aquastyle.com has one for $42+$30 shipping:(

You could make a clothes rack out of pvc and hang the lights from that

It doesn't look that sleek ahaha. I think I'm just gonna go with the bracket from china. Seems to be the best way so far. I'm gonna hang 2 taotronic lights from them

Lighting bracket has been ordered!! :D

Attachments

• image-3970270895.jpg
    image-3970270895.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 67
Alright so it looks like I'll be getting dry rock instead of the live. Not a problem! It's pretty cool to see the transformation dry rock takes from dry to live. Will be getting 40 pounds of Marco rocks at $3 a pound.

Should I protect the bottom of the tank? It'll cost me about $60 in HDPE.

Would the bottom glass be fine if I were to just lay it on there? I think I might cut the bottom of the rock to make it flat so it lays on the glass flat.

I never worried about the bottom no one looks through the bottom lol I do cut my rock so theres no points sitting on the glass though, dont want any pressure points. I'd still get a small piece of live rock (2-3lb.) to add some different live forms to the tank. If you cover the bottom with HDPE glue sand to it it will look like a sand bed

How tall is that lighting bracket? The hangers on those Tao's are about one foot long you could fold the cables and shorten them but it will hang at around 6in.

Back
Top Bottom