Finally! First SW Journal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

umramgirl86

Aquarium Advice Activist
I've been trying to convince my husband forever to let me start a saltwater tank. I have a 20 gallon freshwater, a 2.5 gallon betta, and a 4 gallon red cherry shrimp tank, but I LOVE the idea of having a pico reef. For Valentine's my husband said I can finally start my SW tank! WooHoo!

I have decided to go with an Aqueon Evolve 8, and I will be picking it up tomorrow! From what I hear, and correct me if I'm wrong, but the Evolve should have everything I need to get started except a thermometer, heater, and hydrometer or refractometer.

I plan on doing this really slowly. Ill be buying the tank, saltwater mix, and test kit tomorrow and my live rock on Thursday (I live about an hour away from a place that sells live rock and saltwater fish. After I get it cycled, I'd like to add some livestock. I know with an 8 gallon, I'm limited, but what would you suggest? I'd like a clean-up crew of some sort.

After I run FOWLR for a while, I'd like to start adding softies. What softies would you suggest?

Can you think of anything else I need to do to get started? Any advice you can give is appreciated!

I'm excited about documenting this journey, and I hope you will subscribe and help me along the way! Thanks!

Oh! Also, would the stock lighting on an Evolve be enough to sustain softies?

You should make it a shrimp tank with skunk cleaners and fire shrimp along with something like a clown goby

For softies,depending on lighting; you could do mushrooms,some lower light zoas,ricordia, anything low/medium light... Like i said though depends on light situation... Livestock i would do gobies(there are some that stay small,like clown gobies,some of small blennies like two spots.. Inverts;i have sexy;yes i said sexy ,shrimp in my 5 gal pico/nano, hermits,astrea snails.. My recommendation is to get this book..i refer to it regularly: the nano reef handbook by cr brightwell..and of course this site!! Happy sw!!;)

Back
Top Bottom