Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-24-2011, 08:45 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Exclamation finally going marine!!!! just need some questions answering!

iv decided to go marine, and i am going go for a reef set up! i have chosen my new tank its going to be a Fluval Profile 850 in silver. its a 232 ltr tank with a Fluval 205 external filter.

my questions are.

1 am i right in thinking about 25kg of live rock would be ideal for natural filtration?

2 will i be ok instead making my own water getting it from my lfs all of the time for water changes?

3 should i get a constant flow wave maker or one that changes flow on timers? and how many litres an hour will be ok for the size of tank?

4 do i realy need a protein skimmer as i have read that they do ok with out them because some sort of bacteria will eventually play that part?

other than the ammonia,nitrite,nitrate what other main things will i need to test for a heathly reef system?

what is better crushed coral or live sand and what size would be best?

i will be getting the tank in the next 5 weeks as moving house so thought its best to wait just doing my research in the mean time! as always knowledge is power! thanks ryan.

3ft by 18" by 18" optiwhite tank. 30L of tmc nutrasoil, 25kg of orange dragon stone, tmc auto top up, jbl proflora u402 co2, ehiem pro 3 exturnal filter, tmc vecton 300 uv, hydor 900l power head. All pond solutions 4 x 39w hi t5 light unit. Ehiem air pump 400l, lily pipes. Hydor exturnal heater 300 w
Ryans-planted-tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 07:16 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Regular

Ok about 25-30 kg of live rock sounds about right. For a tank as big as yours a protein skimmer is definitely needed. Live sand is the better option but crushed coral is adequate it just means you will have to wait longer until your nitrite is perfect. You should be testing for nitrite, ammonia, ph, hardness, phosphate and magnesium. Nitrate is only really necessary after your nitrite is ok.

Old 09-01-2011, 07:23 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

In terms of water if you can be bothered to go to the shop every week it is better to do so because you are guaranteed to get the right amount of salt in your water and it isn't that much more expensive.
Old 09-01-2011, 07:32 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by daisytron
iv decided to go marine, and i am going go for a reef set up! i have chosen my new tank its going to be a Fluval Profile 850 in silver. its a 232 ltr tank with a Fluval 205 external filter.

my questions are.

1 am i right in thinking about 25kg of live rock would be ideal for natural filtration?

2 will i be ok instead making my own water getting it from my lfs all of the time for water changes?

3 should i get a constant flow wave maker or one that changes flow on timers? and how many litres an hour will be ok for the size of tank?

4 do i realy need a protein skimmer as i have read that they do ok with out them because some sort of bacteria will eventually play that part?

other than the ammonia,nitrite,nitrate what other main things will i need to test for a heathly reef system?

what is better crushed coral or live sand and what size would be best?

i will be getting the tank in the next 5 weeks as moving house so thought its best to wait just doing my research in the mean time! as always knowledge is power! thanks ryan.
Knjjjjjb.
zZz kossds
Old 09-07-2011, 08:21 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

cheers thanks for the help cant wait now
3ft by 18" by 18" optiwhite tank. 30L of tmc nutrasoil, 25kg of orange dragon stone, tmc auto top up, jbl proflora u402 co2, ehiem pro 3 exturnal filter, tmc vecton 300 uv, hydor 900l power head. All pond solutions 4 x 39w hi t5 light unit. Ehiem air pump 400l, lily pipes. Hydor exturnal heater 300 w
Ryans-planted-tank is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
marine, setting up

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com