Finally Going Reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NightSpirit

Aquarium Advice Activist
Finally decided that I'm going to get a few corals, however, I don't have the highest intensity lighting. The wattage comes out to about 2.5 w/g, however, to me at least it seems very bright in my tank, and the coralline I do have is flourishing.

tank: 100-110 gallon
lights: 4x65 PCs 10k & actinic

So what corals do you recommend for a beginner within my lighting range?

Would this pack be any good?
http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_Display.cfm?siteid=22&pCatId=714

If so, what do I feed, or how do I keep them? Do I have to glue them in place?

Can anyone recommend anything better?

I prefer colorful corals compared to tan/brown, but I understand I am somewhat limited by my lighting spectrum.

TIA

You can try a mushroom or polyp colony. Toad stool and finger leathers are also very hearty beginer corals. The beginer coral pack you listed is not a bad deal, but a lot of the corals I have ordered from them arrived pretty beat up from transport. I prefer to hand pick mine from the LFS. Good luck and post some pics when you get something. Lando

SPS, LPS, Clams, Anemones etc will need much more light. Try some shrooms or polyps as lando suggested. You're probably at the low end for even softies at the moment.

SPS corals require MH lighting. There are some LPS that do not require intense light but I would stay with soft corals to start with. You might want to pick up a copy of Aquarium Corals by Eric Borneman. Nice resource book. I keep a copy in my vehicle just in case.

Fluff said:
SPS corals require MH lighting.
I wouldn't say they require it.. it's just been the easiest way to get a lot of intensity in very little space for many years.

NightSpirit said:
A lot of people have said I should be able to keep most LPSs (I had forgotten which one it was). If this is true or not I don't know, but my tank does seem quite bright with the wattage it has.

I think you should be ok with them as long as you place higher on your rockwork directly under the bulbs.

Unless you really like the polyp rocks, I would try getting some shrooms or leathers. again, the leathers should be under the lights, the shrooms i would think you could anywhere and they would be ok, if not theyll move themselves.

Back
Top Bottom